Thread: Building an Airfield

Default Building an Airfield

IL-2 1946 HSFX 7.03 - Solomons August 42 map (MAP Solomons/load_0842.ini)

Felt like doing a little airfield building the past couple of days.

I found a small clearing on Vella La Vella that looked promising for a small airstrip.
    The area I found is close but it is not the same location used on the later maps for the historical airstrip.
    grab6742.jpg grab6744.jpg

I liked the runway and taxiway layout of Version 1 but I hated the look of the parking areas.
    The runway length was 800 meters. Just about 2625 feet. Pretty short but good enough for a fighter strip.
    grab6714.jpg

I liked Version 2 even more but I still hated how the parking areas were falling into place.
    The main thing I liked about this version is that by rotating it more I got the runway to be 1 kilometer long. Just about 3281 feet.
    grab6716.jpg

I discarded all the parking areas I had already placed and went another direction with them.
    This is the final version. The runway is still 1 kilometer long and there is a fairly large parking area too.
    grab6746.jpg grab6748.jpg

It was designed to be a functioning Dogfight HomeBase for Player flown aircraft. It will work in that capacity for takeoff and landings quite well.
    It will also work with the AI for takeoffs if you use the taxi to takeoff option. Landings are much more problematic so I would end up flying AI aircraft to another airfield to land.

I just need to add a tower and some building to give it its final look.

Wheels

Looks good.