Thread: Cliffs Of Dover Blitz Edition - Thoughts?

Tampa, Florida, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Default Cliffs Of Dover Blitz Edition - Thoughts?

(From the official announcement)
    "1C Game Studios, in partnership with Team Fusion Simulations, is proud to announce the release of a completely updated and improved BLITZ edition of the realistic air combat simulator IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover.

Already known for its incredibly detailed cockpits, massively popular Multiplayer, and complex flight, engine, weapons and damage systems, Cliffs of Dover has now been updated to state-of-the-art DX11 graphics and has had over 20 new flyable aircraft types and variants added to it.

In addition to the 25 original Spitfire, Hurricane, Bf-109 and Bf-110 types, players now have the opportunity to fly new aircraft, such as the rare Bf-109E-4N with its high octane, high-rpm engine and 30mm cannon. Players can also experience the C-6 ground attack version of the Bf-110 and the powerful twin-engine Bristol Beaufighter in both day and night-fighter versions. Glorious new autumn and winter maps allow players to continue the campaign later into 1940 and the era of the ‘Blitz’. Completely revised special effects and damage visuals provide spectacular detail, allowing players to savor the effects of their powerful weapons before sending their opponent’s aircraft crashing and burning to the ground. Speaking of which, new ground textures and scenery, as well as newly implemented cloud systems, provide for a stunning environment to fly over and through, using the revised and improved flight model that provides the accuracy and fidelity flight sim fans expect. On top of all that, new high-fidelity sounds bring the experience of virtual flight to life."

Released December 14. Available on Steam.

I consider you experts in the sim community, so I'm very interested in what you guys think.

-Irish

For me, it's a YAWN. No matter how nice the graphics or more detailed the cockpits, where there is no Mustang, Thunderbolt, Aerocobra, Flying Fortress, or Liberator, my interest is nil. Re the Battle of Britain scenarios, as the man says, "been there, done that". IL-2, although dated, as modded has all CLoD offers and much more, including an FMB that works.

Just not able to get excited about CLoD. Now DCS WWII, that's much more interesting to me.

Just my opinion.
    Pers

Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

Tampa, Florida, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Well, I would hope they'll come out with an expansion, for post-BoB. It seems like a good start. I just can't get excited about DCS, especially after they've admitted to funnelling money away from the WWII project and selling promised free content for more profits, when the backers never even got all they were promised. I can't do business with a company that would do that.

Perhaps the next "Battle Of..." title will be "Battle of Europe," or some such, after Stalingrad, Moscow, and Kuban.

-Irish