Thread: On to the Beaches....

Default On to the Beaches....

"We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender...." Winston Churchill

After a day of forum reading and digesting more than 200 postings, here's what I know, or think I know about the upcoming early release of the Normandy Map for DCS. Note that I did not say DCS: WWII. That's an important distinction. As time passes, we'll see if any of my musing/guesses come to past.

1. Early Release of the Normandy Map will be in Q1-2017. This includes those folks who got involved in the RRG kickstarter effort.
    2. You WILL require DCS World 2.0.

I hope I'm wrong about the following, really, I do.

3. Expectations on map size may be overstated. Not to disillusion anyone, but the map "could" be as small as a square with outside corners at Exeter and Caen.... it IS a "Normandy" Map. Based on screenshots, I've been able to identify ALG-1, Point-du-Hoc, and a village 3.5 miles inland from Omaha Beach. I'm hoping it reaches well south of St Lo.
    4. Time period is approximately the first week of June 1944 forward.
    5. The map will include Advance Landing Grounds A-1 to 20, and B1-5...maybe.
    6. NO bomber fields, and probably no U.K. fields.

Even at this, I am optimistic that at least Operation CROSSBOW and Operation COBRA missions and campaigns can be built. This map will not be P51 friendly, not enough airspace. But, Spits and 47's are going to rule the skies against 109's and 190s. This is going to be a mudmoving map for sure. I'd say, very much like the IL2 Normandy Map.

I'll keep you posted......
    "War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

I also read that they will have the ability to construct within the FMB, a grass airfield anywhere you can find a level area large enough. If they do extend the map to somewhere in the SE of England, at least as north as London, I will place a "Bodney" someplace until they enlarge it to include Kings Lyn.

Based on a ingame map image posted by Matt Wagner in Nov 2106, the Normandy area covered by the map comprises all actions to the south of the invasion beaches, on a line from Avranche to Melum, by D+20 and to the east, along the Siene R, by D+90. I'll post the map image later, but if you Google Maps, you'll be able to narrow down the area involved. The map is roughly 200 miles wide by 150 miles in depth, with a coastline from just north of le Treport France south to Avranche and Malow France. The Channel Islands, which should be there, are noticeably missing as well as a 40 mile deep section along English coastline, including the Isle of Wright.

So, there IS enough map for 8th AF missions to seal off the invasion and logement zones (Neptune, Carpetbagger, Crossbow, and remaining CBO missions), and a bunch of map for 9th AF missions in support of the invasion (Neptune) all the way through the breakout (Cobra) and bit beyond. Good News.....Very Promising!
    Last edited by 352nd Oscar; 01-12-2017 at 02:45 PM.
    "War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

While the map doesn't show it, the forums have always mentioned that the WWII map will have some portion of SE England included. Just how much remains to be seen when it is released in the first Q of 2017.

Well, I'm pleased as punch cause I was excepting something like the IL2 Normandy Map. We had a bunch of fights over that map. This is much better. More room. And with the advanced mission building capabilities and scripts of the Mission Builder I'll be able to do some missions I couldn't under SEOW.