Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greetings From A Noob

Tampa, Florida, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Default Greetings From A Noob

Greetings, gentlemen (and any ladies who may be present)...

I was lucky enough to run across your group while watching videos on YouTube. I saw the Polish HBO documentary and was hooked. I watched your other videos shortly after that, and was quite impressed. It was shortly thereafter I sent an email to your leadership, as I was going to create an account here and post a hello and thank you, but the join function was disabled. I got an email back from Persecutor, and we swapped several more emails after that. Lo and behold, the join function was restored sometime since, and here I am.

I'm not a spring chicken anymore...going on 58 years old. I've been gaming online since the early 1990s. That was before the days of commercial internet, when everything was text-based (no graphics) telnet, and there was no such thing as a WorldWide Web. I mainly played MUSHes, and MUSEs. They're variants of MUDs (multi-user dungeons). We used to type-chat to each other about how great it would be to someday see our characters in a visible environment. Well, I guess we got our wish.

I've done a couple flight sims, but they were the arcade style and were mostly MTW (mouse to win). I wanted something better...more realistic and for more historically-oriented players. Well, I guess I'd better put up or shut up. I have some learning to do if I'm going to get involved.

I've been a WWII buff since a very young age, playing with my plastic toy Mustangs, Spitfires, Bf-109s, FW-190s, JU-87s, and JU-88s, as well as tanks and "PBI" (poor bloody infantry, aka green army men). I had to know what these things were really all about, so I started reading and watching historical documentaries. I guess I just never stopped. During my "research," at the Sun 'n Fun Fly-In (Lakeland, FL - second largest air show in the US after OshKosh), I met a man who flew his P-51 in for the show, painted in the colors of his WWII ride. This was Amos H. "Hess" Bomberger. We talked at length, and I've been a fan of his ever since. He was in the 356th FG, 361st FS. I somewhat adopted the 356th as my favorite unit at that point, and it remains so to this day. Instead of a Blue-Noser, I guess I'm more of a Playboy (Martlesham Playboys - Martlesham Heath, England).

Although I may or may not become a Blue-Noser, I hope to be able to fly with you fine gentlemen at some point, perhaps as a guest...perhaps someone who got separated from his unit and latched onto yours for the mission. If you ever get the urge (and feel like landing on a real runway rather than a cow pasture)*, feel free to drop by Martlesham. Just bring a couple bottles of hooch and some tall tales. In the meantime, I think you may just find me around here at Bodney every once in a while.

/salute

-Irish

*(MH was rare because it had actual runways, whereas most US fighter bases in England were former RAF bases with large grass landing areas)

Bodney and MH.jpg
    Bodney 1a.jpg
    Martlesham Heath 2a.jpg
    8th AF - Bodney and MH Highlighted.jpg

Welcome to the 352nd VFG Forums, Irish! Time to fly, no? Our last mission of the first half of the "Post D-Day Campaign" is Friday, July 25. You're welcome to come join us. Drop me an email to confirm and let's try and connect on-line to make sure you are all squared away.
    Pers

Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

Welcome to the 352nd VFG Forums, Irish!.

Time to fly, no? Come join us on Friday, July 25 for the final mission of the first half of the "Post D-Day Campaign". Probably a good idea if you join an on-line session before then to make sure you have everything you need. Drop me a line to confirm and set up a time to check connections.
    Pers

Tampa, Florida, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by 352nd Persecutor View Post
    You're welcome to come join us. Drop me an email to confirm and let's try and connect on-line to make sure you are all squared away.
    Thanks, Pers...but it will be a while before I'm anything resembling squared away. I'm trying to learn some of the basics, in the "Flight Training For Dummies" thread. Until I get the basics, and learn enough not to be dangerous, I'd best watch from the sidelines. There's a science fiction game coming out, by Chris Roberts (creator of the Wing Commander series, Privateer, and others), called "Star Citizen." The devs (and the players themselves) have a motto, which is "don't suck." I'll try to live up to that when I get ingame with you fine gentlemen.

-Irish

Quote Originally Posted by O'Donovan View Post
    Thanks, Pers...but it will be a while before I'm anything resembling squared away. I'm trying to learn some of the basics, in the "Flight Training For Dummies" thread. Until I get the basics, and learn enough not to be dangerous, I'd best watch from the sidelines. There's a science fiction game coming out, by Chris Roberts (creator of the Wing Commander series, Privateer, and others), called "Star Citizen." The devs (and the players themselves) have a motto, which is "don't suck." I'll try to live up to that when I get ingame with you fine gentlemen.

-Irish
    Don't sell yourself short, Irish. We all started somewhere, and all of us "suck" on any given day. We can be our own worst critics. Give it a try; you'll be surprised how well you do and how much you will learn. I've been virtually flying for almost 20 years and learn something new nearly every session. That's one of the great things about this hobby. You'll never realize how much you really know until you try. Come on in, the water's fine!
    Pers

Don't let your skill level slow your foray into offline play O'Donovan. I didn't start flying online until a few months ago, May 17 to be exact, and everyone has been more than helpful. To get me oriented to flying online for the first couple of missions, which run 3 hours, the group had me ferry aircraft from one airfield to another in their most recent campaign. It was something that was necessary because of the campaign parameters and it is also a fairly safe thing to do to learn what it takes to get an aircraft up and down while online. In the 16 missions I flew with the group I progressed from ferrying aircraft at all times to flying ground attack and some air to air missions. I even scored my first official, non AI, recorded kill while flying my last sortie of the last mission in that campaign!! (If one of the AI gunners on your plane kills an aircraft you are awarded the victory. I was awarded two victories of that type during the campaign.)

Hope to see you in the air with us soon O'Donovan. I think you will have a great time.

Wheels

Many thanks. If I can get my wild children and my adoring wife to leave me alone for a few hours, I might get some offline practice in and put to use some of what I'm trying to absorb. As an aside, I have both a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro (which I LOVE because of how it fits my hand) and a Saitek X45 HOTAS. Just wondering if anyone has any setup information, profiles, or such which might help me not to become a virtual lawn dart.

Thanks!

-Irish

Greetings from the great beyond (21st century). It finally looks like I may be able to get flying...soon. *sigh* My wife had a minor stroke and my older son is failing sixth grade because his teachers are not accounting for his autism (Asperger's syndrome), so we're going to be putting him in "virtual school" (over the internet). As that gets straightened out, I might actually get some sleep. After sleep comes time for things like flying.

Are there any updates or new mods I should download? My previous download was from the end of June, last year. Also, are there any good sample or training missions I could practice on, in my spare time? I'd like to FINALLY get involved and join -this- crowd.

MAN, that's beautiful! Hope to be on there soon.

/s

-Irish
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contact Persecutor and make sure that you have our latest build HSFX 7.02. If you don't have it, then ask him for the links to our build.

I checked my folder and that's the version I have. Thanks!

Any good training missions among those I have in the files downloaded in that version?

-Irish
    Last edited by O'Donovan; 03-31-2015 at 06:27 PM.