Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cliffs of Dover

Thumbs up Cliffs of Dover

Gents as promised I would write up some details about CoD:

First, here are my specs:

Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 1 gig RAM
    Core 2 Quad 2.4 ghz

First I spend quite some time lurking the Banana forums and the Simhq one, I gathered some tips about config ini setups. The config ini looks quite a bit like the one we have in IL2 5.0, so alterations come naturally.

After that I started tweaking the Russian video options, which is quite a challenge

I ended up everything at medium , which is quite beautiful, especially the dynamic shadowing is a sight to behold.

The fun starts when you switch all the realism settings on, and try to do a cold start:

insert picture

The first solo flight of 2ndlt Bushpilot

My Hurricane is on the airfield, I slide back the canopy(very nice detail: when the canopy is closed, you can't move outside the cockpit boundaries, when you slide the canopy open, you can lean outside, very nice), and switch on the magnetos, fuel system, check all levers, move the mixture handle to rich, and press the engine start button. I move my head sideways, and the flames come out of the exhaust pipes, the prop starts to move, and .....stops.

Bugger, what did I do wrong? I re-run the checklist, give her some more throttle, and yes, the hurricane comes to life. She starts moving forward, and comes to an halt when her gear collapses. (ooops forgot to check the gearlock). Propellor blades are bent, one of the crewmembers is laughing his ass off, he makes me think of somebody.

Retry, and finally we are moving down the taxiway over an airfield bristling with life, fuel trucks , briefing areas, chairs, grass moving in the wind.

Halfway the taxiway my screen is suddenly splattered with oil, the engine coughs, sputters, hics and hisses and dies on me. I check the engine temp, and realize I didn't open the radiator.

I check the hotkey list, and can't find that darn radiator thing, so Ill check back in later.

So far I am very enthusiastic about CoD. It has a lot of potential. Graphically it's very demanding, CPU wise it only uses one core. The landscape is basically our CCM map, only the roads are curved, which is nice.

A lot of work needs to be done on it though, you can fly through trees f.e. , when you encounter more than 4 airplanes, it turns into a slideshow, but thats maybe because my specs aren't that great either...

Ill continue later with the flight of the Hurricane as soon as I have figured out where the radiator key is located

2ndlt BP

Day 2:

I start up my engine, after locating the radiator, let the engine temp rise to the desired temp, carefully not to overheat it. Yes, I can taxi!

After setting her up for launch, I run a quick check. Canopy is open, and there we go, full throttle! The wings wiggle and waggle, you hear the wheels bounce and bump over the grass. You can take off anywhere by the way, and land to, no frictions. Which is nice.

I make a nice tour over England, beautiful!

Landing is a breeze, set her up, flaps, gear, and she just slides down. It all comes very naturally.

To be continued.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bushpilot; 03-30-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: pictures
    nunc aut nunquam!

Sounds interesting BP. It is going to make us learn how to manage our engines. I like that kind of stuff. In reality, those high output engines required care in management or they came apart on you. I think if the Rolls-Royce Merlin made it to 200 hours in combat that was considered quite good.

I am looking forward to getting my copy, but I can already see the need for adding another graphics card to the one I just installed.

RJ

"The most important branch of aviation is pursuit, which fights for and gains control of the air"
    U.S. Brigadier General William Mitchell

RJ, you are really in for a treat. I still can't get it off the ground with all the realism settings to full

Ill try to post some screenies tonight. The grapgic engine is certainly not optimized at the moment that's for sure.

Yesterday I used my Radeon 4850, with an average of 25 FPS with medium settings at 1900x1080, today my new Gefore 560 ti arrived, and guess what: same fps, on the same settings. Now is my CPU not one of the newest, but this is quite strange.
    Last edited by Bushpilot; 03-29-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    nunc aut nunquam!

Looking forward to hearing more and seeing more

BP,

You mentioned something about the CPU using only one core. I don't know if it would make any difference, but have you tried distributing use to all the CPU cores?

"The most important branch of aviation is pursuit, which fights for and gains control of the air"

Hi RJ,

Yes, I did the same as in IL2 , the processaffinitymask command, but so far no joy. But they just released a patch, so Ill have to check again.

The more I fly in it, the more it starts to get to me. It flies like a real airplane, in the sense of movement, physics, motor management, you are multitasking all the time, haven't even got to the shooting down part.
    nunc aut nunquam!

Great, that is what I like in a Sim. The more realistic the better. That is why I like Black Shark and A10-C, you have systems to manage and that in and of itself can make the difference in the combat area.

Keep us posted BP.

I really hope this doesn't need a super computer to run it. All the reading I've seen seems to indicate the game should not have been released in its present form. I question the minimum specs listed for the game, it appears to play this game is going to require a lot of people to purchase/upgrade or lord forbids buy a new system, if that's the case I'll return mine for a refund, you shouldn't have to purchase a new system to run this game at a satisfactory level given the advertised min specs for the game. TC

I've heard that 1c made the mistake that Flight Sim X did, game only makes use of a single core of a multi-core processor. However still dont know the details on that.

Default Day 3

For thsoe who want to fly cheap: there is a language .dll available, it works great, replacing the Russian for English.

Today I started with the campaign.

We had to scramble, which is really bad for your engine Cold start, full throttle, WEP, it still took some time to take off.

We had to chase a group of JU-88's. After a few passes I had some tine holes in my fuselage. Two different kinds of liquids came streaming out, black and white.

I broke off the attack, got lost over the North Sea, ending up ditching my plane in the drink due to fuel and oil shortage.

Very, very impressive.

And yes, I had some pooor framerates over cities, but there were quite some planes in the air, and vehicles driving around as well. We have already had the first patch, and many more will follow.

Attached are pics of the session.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bushpilot; 03-31-2011 at 12:14 PM.
    nunc aut nunquam!