Thread: Chatham Naval Dockyard in wrong place

Default Chatham Naval Dockyard in wrong place

Not sure if this is a 'Problem' or just a request for a fix next time you are updating the map but you appear to have put Chatham Naval Dockyard in Rochester.

Here is a pic of Rochester. I have marked the place where you have placed the dockyard with a 'B'. In real life there is a small commercial dock just to the right but that is all. I have also marked a point 'A' at the bottom which links with the next picture.

This next picture shows the Shorts Factory in Rochester. The 'A' on this picture matches the 'A' on the picture above. This is where flying boats such as the Sunderland etc were bult which is why it has slipways but during the war it made Sterlings here and at Rochester Aerodrome a little further South. You couldmodel it quite easily just by copying across the design you used for Sheppey Seaplane Base nearby.

This final picture shows a screenshot from your map. Where Chatham Naval Dockyard should be you have modelled an undeveloped green island but the reality is that the island is half of the Dockyard. Three ship basins were built here at a bend in the river and with entrances at either end it effectively turned the tip of the bend into an island. I have put in a rough dockyard by hand to give you an idea (though I should have shown 3 basins) Rochester Aerodrome and factories would have been just below the aircrafts left wingtip but it was not a significant target because Shorts moved production elsewhere when they got bombed too many times.

I also should have shown that the Dockyard extended down the left bank almost to Chatham. Ignore what is across the river as that is a 16th Century castle and Napoleonic barracks :-)

Default Re: Chatham Naval Dockyard in wrong place

Thank you very much Roblex. Not a problem as much as not enough detailed inforamtion such as this to put it proper. I will definitely rework this area for the future and try to do it justice.
    "War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

Just found this taken by LW in 1939

http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/lw/22a-chatham.htm

Perfect....I'll see what I can do for the next build.
    "War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."