Thread: X45 and Rudder pedals

Default X45 and Rudder pedals

Hey guys...

I have heard that some of you guys at one time or another might have used a Saitek x45 joystick. I was wondering if any of you might have a profile that you could email me. My x45 uses the pr0. file. i have looked every where on the web, to find an IL2 profile, but all the links are pretty much gone...I'm sure to this being an older joystick. :(

I'm also looking for a set of used Rudder pedals, that u might have laying around collecting dust....heh ...S!

Ribbs

Default Re: X45 and Rudder pedals

I wish I could help Ribbs, but I used to use an X52 and have long since done away with any profiles.

"The most important branch of aviation is pursuit, which fights for and gains control of the air"
    U.S. Brigadier General William Mitchell

Same here Ribbs but they are very easy to make and really they should be customized for your own choice of keys and HOTAS

Well I found a guy here close to where I live that was selling his CH pro pedals, so I bought them from him. He didn't have any of the software that came with them, but I plugged them in and windows recognized them right away. Question... do I really need the software for them... or are the windows drivers sufficient enough. It doesn't seem like the toebrakes are working correctly(they are almost acting like a switch) It seems like when I push them down they stay on till I push them down again and they release) Is that the way they are supposed to work?... I haven't had very much time to mess around with them.. other than a quick calibration in the control panel. S!

Ribbs

In IL-2 brakes are a toggle (on/off) activated by pressing the "B" key (by default) and working your rudder either left or right.

Mapping that to your toe brakes on your CH-Pro pedals might be a chore .... I don't know. Mapping the "B" key should be easy .... simply select the brake axis in your HOTAS controls in the Control section of the game and map the "B" key there.

Otherwise, AFAIK, there is no need for the CH-Pro software (if there IS any) to use the rudder in Windows. Remember to calibrate them, though. A quick check with the CH Pro website indicates that no software is needed to use the pedals in Windows. A .pdf file describing use and installation is available from that link.

Pers

Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

Thanks Pers! I downloaded the control manager, to see if that might be a solution... even the "B" button should be a "hold down and release "keystroke. So I would think it would work the same on the toebrakes...just like a brake pedal. It could just be me.. I haven't had alot of time to get used to them... as was witnessed last night trying to land on the carriers. lol by the way what happened on the last approach to the carrier. I was coming in and was about a 1000 ft out from the deck. Then I hear you guys say that I warped into the sky or something...haha Everything looked good on my end..and I tryed to let you guys know over coms. ..I heard you guys say that you were going to pull the plug on the server.... I continued and felt liked i hooked the wire..but ended up spinning to the right and clipping the conning tower.. Hey either way it was great to finally be able to get to actually fly with the squad for once and feel like I'm a part of something. Felt bad for Coster having to ditch I took note of his coordinates and dispatched a PBY to search for him... unfortunately I believe he was picked up by the Japanese....and is a POW..:( Hey in my defence... the zoom wasn't working on my trackIR... I couldn't tell it was a destroyer.... :o haha Goodtimes! S!

Ribbs

Ribbs,

Here's something I found a long time ago about setting up rudder pedals for toe brakes in IL-2. Doesn't matter what brand they are.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a way to better simulate differential braking in this sim without mods. You will still have to apply rudder to turn .. but with this method you can have the brakes in both pedals, so basically it will be right rudder right brakes.. left rudder left brakes.. still not true DB.. but much more immersive since you will have it assigned to each pedal. .

First off set your brakes to one or the other pedals in the Controls>HOTAS>Brakes section of the sim.

Now, by default in the sim you can only use one pedal of your rudder pedals for brakes.. because in the HOTAS section there is only one line for brakes.

When you set brakes using the HOTAS screen it will take either your left or right brake pedal. Which ever one you press when you go to load the HOTAS>Brakes section and it will be either Y axis or X axis.. depending on which rudder pedal you press.

On your pedals you will still have another axis... and you can fool the sim into reading the same command for both axii, the X & the Y. Here is how...

After you set one pedal in the HOTAS section go to:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\Users\Doe

With Doe being whatever name you have for your default pilot.. I did this on all the pilots in my users folder (I only have 2 & the default) since I am the only one who flies the sim and I want them all to be the same..

You may see 2 config files in there depending on whether or not you started a camapign. The settings file is the one you want to edit. That is where your stick settings are found.

That is the folder with your stick settings you want to back up so that in case you accidentally load the default stick settings, or if you have a HD crash... you can get whatever settings you had back without having to reprogram everything from scratch. Just drop your backed up copy of that file where t needs to go.

First off make sure that that folder is NOT set to Read Only, it should'nt be until AFTER you are done with this.

Once in the settings folder scroll down to the section that says:

[HotKey move]
    JoystickDevice0 AXE_Y=elevator
    AXE_RX JoystickDevice1=-trimrudder
    AXE_RZ JoystickDevice2=rudder
    AXE_U JoystickDevice1=-power
    AXE_U JoystickDevice0=-pitch
    AXE_V JoystickDevice1=trimelevator
    AXE_X JoystickDevice0=aileron
    AXE_Y JoystickDevice2=brakes <------- standard in settings

This is for whatever you have setup in your HOTAS section. The line in bold orange is for the brakes on your pedals... and it will say AXE_Y or AXE_X, depending on which brake pedal you pressed to set the brakes in the HOTAS section.

Copy that line exactly as it is written on the line below it... and then change the line to reflect the other axis for that controller (In other words if yours says X then add Y , if Y then add X) .

[HotKey move]
    JoystickDevice0 AXE_Y=elevator
    AXE_RX JoystickDevice1=-trimrudder
    AXE_RZ JoystickDevice2=rudder
    AXE_U JoystickDevice1=-power
    AXE_U JoystickDevice0=-pitch
    AXE_V JoystickDevice1=trimelevator
    AXE_X JoystickDevice0=aileron
    AXE_Y JoystickDevice2=brakes < bold orange
    AXE_X JoystickDevice2=brakes < add this line

Then close the config file. Before you exit the users folder right click on the settings config file, select Properties and then select Read Only and then Apply. This will keep the settings you just made.

If you DO NOT do this then the next time you open the controls menu it will revert back to the default settings as far as the brake axis goes and the axis you added will not be there (remember the sim is only designed tio see one axis for brakes).

Be advised that if you want to make any chages to your controls by adding or removing keystrokes or axii, say for a new stick setup or whatever, you will first have to unselect Read Only from the properties menu of that folder, otherwise as soon as you exit the sim whatever changes you made will not be saved and it will go back to the setup[ you initially created when you made the file Read Only.

This is also a good way to insure that you never accidentally reconfigure your controls once you get a setup that works, which sometimes takes time.

All this does is tell the sim to use either pedal (read axis of your rudder pedals (there are 3 X,Y & Z with Z being the rudder rotation) for brakes..

The sim doesn't know or care which one you use.. it will just use one at a time, either one, so if you just hit your rudder to turn and then press the right or left brake brake with this setup you will have more realistic differential braking.

Is it true differential braking?

No.. but it is close enough to make it work, and some planes did in fact have brakes that worked that way.

This is not a mod.

Lastly if you go to M4T and download IL2 Joy.. a joystick editor for the sim, you can adjust dead zones etc.. for any axis in the sim from trim axii to pitch & yaw etc... including brakes. IMO with your brakes on a slider you can apply a little or a lot of pressure... depending on how far down you press the pedal so it is by far more immersive, more practical, and more functional.

-----------

Trapper
    Some see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full. I see a glass that's too big.

That's how I have mine setup Trapper, works like a charm. TC

Gotcha guys! Thanks for the info! sounds just like what im looking for. ;D

Now wheres that carrier at?...........

Ribbs