Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BIG changes in the works at the 352nd Virtual Fighter Group!

Default BIG changes in the works at the 352nd Virtual Fighter Group!

It is what? Shocking? Stunning? Mind-Blowing? No, probably none of those things, but certainly "remarkable" that ten years ago in May, when Mike was but a mere boy thinking about Kindergarten, Skinny was thinking about high school, and ClayP was pondering what 25 years of retired life was like, Bill "Razor" Ross decided to form a virtual combat squadron honoring the veterans of the 352nd Fighter Group.

A lot has happened since then -- that core group of original members ebbed and flowed and, since 2001, has grown to almost 30. We've flown in CFS, CFS2, considered but rejected CFS3, shifted to IL-2 Sturmovik, then to Forgotten Battles, added Pacific Fighters, and now fly the whole IL-2 conglomerate in modded form. It's been a wild ride.

We've used any number of communications forms; Yahoo E-Groups, an early forum and chat room, a phpwebsite that is still operational, if outdated, and two subsequent forums, including this one. We adopted Roger-Wilco early on and stayed with it for ages until, after trying Teamspeak 2 and Ventrillo, decided to adopt the former. Now Teamspeak 3 is on the horizon and we are in the process of switching to it.

In the very early days the 352nd Virtual Fighter Group could be found on the Zone. With our switch to IL-2 we migrated to Hyperlobby, but always flew primarily on private IPs. We still do the latter. Members operate individual game servers and several have, from time to time, operated dedicated servers. For a time, in fact, we had a 24-7 dedicated server operating on Hyperlobby. Server maintenance is always a headache, and the inevitable costs attach, thus it's not unusual to see servers come and go. Today, as I'm writing this, three members are operating or developing dedicated servers available to the Squadron.

We've enthusiastically embraced inter-squad competitions, flying with many different groups in CFS and CFS2, and developing close inter-squad friendships in IL-2. They are so many that, if I attempted to list them all, I'd certainly forget one or more and catch hell for doing so ..... what a good spot to be in!

Two years ago the Squad became involved in developing the Cross Channel Map -- good grief, it HAS been TWO years! The map is yet to be finished, but it is oh-so-close .... if only we wouldn't keep finding little nit-picky things to fix!

As progress continues along its inevitable path to somewhere else, little fingers from others grab at us .... security is one of the most important. As every forum administrator or operator knows, security is a constant battle. Content software, like our phpwebsite location, separate from a forum, poses problems of its own, not the least of which is the tendency to concentrate on one to the detriment of the other. It's been ages since the phpwebsite was updated, for example.

So progress is pushing us in yet another direction .... mods change daily, servers are being built, membership increases, interest peaks and then peaks again, and our forum becomes busier and busier. In an effort to address these changes from the communication aspect we are switching our content and forum software to vBulletin. It's a major switch, as any software change can be.

It will not happen overnight, but at some point in the very short future this site will be closed and redirected to our vBulletin location. It's up and running now, but not well and not nearly finished.

As a user, or a visitor, you can do us a service by visiting the site and letting us know if you have issues reaching it. Please do not post on the site at this point -- if you do each new post will be deleted At the moment of switching over all content here will be migrated there (hopefully). I am much more interested in your ability to log on and read.

Please us this thread to let me know if you have issues reaching the site or reading the content. I'm particularly interested in issues you have in registration or banning. The software is much more powerful than what we are now using and options (like banning) sneak up on us and catch us by surprise -- defaults that we didn't know about, for example. So .... if you find an issue, please let us know -- we'll all be the better for it.

Oh yeah, it would help if I told you where it is, LOL.

Here. A direct link to the forum is here. The entire site will change daily until the kinks get worked out.

And so it goes. On to the next ten!

Pers

Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

Default Re: BIG changes in the works at the 352nd Virtual Fighter Group!

Some of you guys are lucky. Pers, Junkers and myself have had to put up with Clay for ten years.

It's very possible that, when you try to log on with your credentials from this site (which have been imported there) the site won't recognize your password. That appears to be an import failure ... and the easiest way to correct it is probably either email or PM me advising me of the problem and I'll reset your password for you.
    Pers

Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

This is me advising you Pers... I can't log in, doesn't accept my password.
    Jinks

"For most people the sky is the limit, for the pilot the sky is home" - unknown

Same here Pers

SEE YOU IN THE SKIES OR IN MY SIGHTS

Me too, just tried

Trapper
    Some see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full. I see a glass that's too big.

Meanwhile, down at the bunkhouse, the cowpokes wandered in one by one from a long day on the range mending fences. The Foreman shook his head while talking to Cookie and said, "I'm sure glad we don't heard cows that way."
    "War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

Quote Originally Posted by 352ndOscar
    Meanwhile, down at the bunkhouse, the cowpokes wandered in one by one from a long day on the range mending fences. The Foreman shook his head while talking to Cookie and said, "I'm sure glad we don't heard cows that way."
    Like this ? ;D

cowboys herding cats
    Some see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full. I see a glass that's too big.

ROFLMAO!!!!!
    "War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

As is popular on all TV programs and movies where no acting is required when sitting before a computer (solving world problems with a click of the touch-mouse thingy)

I'm in !