Thread: Installing Missions, Bombers, Fighters

Viper25

Default Installing Missions, Bombers, Fighters

Hello & Bonjour, I am having a little hickup when it comes to installing the missions & bombers & fighters having never added anything to my IL-2 Sturmovik 1946. Please leave a detailed process for me to follow if possible. This will make my installation and enterance to 352nd more injoyable.

Default Re: Installing Missions, Bombers, Fighters

Missions are located in the Missions folder in your game, Viper.

They break down into a "cache" folder, a folder for "dogfights," another for "coops", and finally "campaigns". If you have Battle over Europe installed you'll also have a folder called "NGen" there.

The Cache folder contains downloaded missions that your system saves if you join a server hosting a mission (for example, HyperLobby). The missions are stored there in encrypted form, so they serve very little purpose other than to save download time if you rejoin the same mission. Otherwise, the files simply take up hard drive space.

The Dogfight folder contains all your dogfight missions ... missions that, by default, are not scripted. Everything in the mission is static, and anyone can join and fly any aircraft located at any base by the mission designer. Typically missions installed in the Dogfight folder should be stored in sub-folders as an organizational step, each sub-folder will show up as a choice once you select "Dogfight" as your mission type when you start a multiplayer session. You may NOT nest sub-folders. A dead pilot can simply rearm at the same airfield by pressing "refly".

The Coop folder contains all your coop missions. Coop missions are scripted; players may join only in preselected locations and aircraft with specific scripted assignments. Once a player is dead in a coop he may not rejoin until the server is restarted. As in the Dogfight folder, coop missions are stored in sub-folders as an organizational step, and sub-folders may not be nested.

Campaign missions are just that, and are off-line missions only. They are a particular type of coop mission, scripted to follow one another in a "campaign". They have the same limitations and strengths as do coop missions.

With the advent of the Zuti DogFight Server mod, a scripted coop mission can be saved as a Dogfight mission and players may join as they would a dogfight mission and the scripted events will happen; the objects are no longer "static". This means that you can have AI aircraft flying around, trains, ships, convoys, and vehicles can move, and so forth. The Zuti Dogfight server mod lets you have the strengths of the Coop without the "dead is dead" aspect of it; a crashed or killed player can simply respawn and rejoin the fray.

If you download a dogfight mission, put it in your Missions/Net/Dogfight folder, creating a sub-folder for it in an organizational step.

If you download a coop mission, do the same thing, only put it in a Missions/Net/Coop folder.

Hope this helps.
    Pers

Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

Quote Originally Posted by 352ndPersecutor

... With the advent of the Zuti DogFight Server mod, a scripted coop mission can be saved as a Dogfight mission and players may join as they would a dogfight mission and the scripted events will happen; the objects are no longer "static". This means that you can have AI aircraft flying around, trains, ships, convoys, and vehicles can move, and so forth. The Zuti Dogfight server mod lets you have the strengths of the Coop without the "dead is dead" aspect of it; a crashed or killed player can simply respawn and rejoin the fray ...
    Hi Pers

Thanks for this really useful post. I am pretty new to the world of mods and have just installed UP1.8. I had no idea that Zuti's mod allowed you to play a coop as a dogfight mission. That's good news, as I like building/flying coops but it can be a bit annoying when you die early on in a mission. So, how do I do this? Is it simply a case of saving a second version of a coop mission in the DF folder and then, with Zuti's mod enabled, choosing this DF version of the coop via HL?

Also, just wondering how progress with a certain map is going?!?

Cheers

PPanPan

PPanPan,

It is *almost* that easy to create a Zuti-capable dogfight mission from a coop.

There are probably other (and maybe even better) ways, but what I do when I'm converting a particularly good coop to Zuti use is to load the coop mission into the FMB, then add home bases (recall that Coops don't use the home base concept and one has to have a place to spawn in at). I also restrict the aircraft plane set at the home bases to what is appropriate for the mission being used.

I then modify the mission details for the briefing screen, make the appropriate credits, and save the mission as a dogfight. Zuti does the rest.

We like to restrict outside views to the player's aircraft only, so I add a section to the .mis file in a text editor using the code from the HUD mod. I'm at work so I don't have the code handy; I'll edit this post and add it later today.

Once that's done, the game server can load the mission as a multiplayer dogfight and away you go, a dogfight mission with moving objects, just as in a coop, but with the ability to respawn in the event that you don't survive. One can even add AI aircraft that spawn in later in the mission (instead of only at the beginning).

Lots and lots of possibilities. The Zuti mod almost makes a coop mission obsolete.
    Pers

Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

Great information Pers.

One clarification though, You mention that NGen is a "Battle over Europe" addon in your first post.
    NGen has been a part of my standard install since Pacific Fighters without any addons/mods.
    It is used for the multiplayer campaign mode.
    I am not saying it was very useful but it was in the package.

These are the Ngen campaigns in v4.09m.

Wheels