Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track IR

Default Track IR

Hi All,

Have any of you experience with Track Ir in IL2? Or in flightsims in general?

I get tired of looking around with my hands, instead with my head, especially during a dogfight it can be very cumbersome.

So, please advice: To buy or not to buy!

cheers,

Bushpilot
    nunc aut nunquam!

Default Re: Track IR

Takes a bit of getting used to, but it's excellent. I have the TrackIR 3 and use 6DOF (allows leaning as well as head movement; only the modded version of IL2 currently supports the additional axis). I don't know anything about the newer models. Most issues are just set up problems (an un-noticed lamp in the brackground, the receiver has a poor line-of-sight to your reflector dots, you've not tweaked the curves for yourself, you didn't check your set up and happen to be seated differently then the last time you used it, ect).

It becomes very natural after a while. I love mine.

Bushpilot,

I have to agree with Buster Dee. I can't imagine not flying with TrackIR now that I have it. I started out with TrackIR 3 several years ago, now use TrackIR 5. As the version number increased the screen resolution also increased and the software improved to the point that using it is almost second nature now. If you use a headset / microphone combination the TrackClip affixes to the headset and the whole apparatus becomes almost part of you. The hat clip is okay; it works fine but the Clip makes the TrackIR less "Mickey Mouse", it seems to me.

Buster Dee is right when he says that flying with TrackIR takes some getting used to. At first holding one's head still seems impossible because the screen image won't hold still. That effect is largely a result of the TrackIR sensitivity settings -- once one makes some adjustments to the profile that issue goes away. After only a few hours in the virtual cockpit with TrackIR the pilot learns where the pointy end of the plane is and no longer has to keep the gunsight in view to "know" what the plane's attitude is; following a target becomes much, much easier. With TrackIR I've found that I no longer use the "padlock enemy" key at all. In that sense, since it is no longer as necessary to use the keyboard "hints" to track an enemy, flying on more difficult settings becomes possible.

Looking around the sky seems much more natural ... flying in combat formation and watching the six of your formation pilots becomes second nature.

The addition of 6DoF (degrees of freedom) to the game with the Mods opens the IL-2 world even broader. As the mods have evolved and improved, 6DoF has gotten better and better and now is to the point that I can't imagine flying without it; along with the improved sounds, the 6DoF mod is the other "must have" for the game. The rest, very nice indeed, I can survive without if I have to. 6DoF I don't think I would fly without. Use it once and you'll qucikly see why.

When enhanced by TrackIR and 6 DoF, IL-2 is a whole new game.

Like a good joystick and a high-quality headset, TrackIR is a "must have". I personally would put TrackIR as more important than a set of rudder pedals on the list of "requirements" to enjoy the simulation to the fullest.
    Pers

Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

Hi Buster and Pers,

Thank you both for your answers. I was pondering and plotting, but it's getting more and more clear that I need a device like this. Both your answers show that it's an important addition to my arsenal and I'll buy a set right away.

(And I need every help there is to survive the dogfights... :

Cheers,

Bushpilot
    nunc aut nunquam!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpilot
    (And I need every help there is to survive the dogfights... :
    You aren't alone in needing help surviving dogfights -- that's when a wingman is imperative. And TrackIR is a GREAT help!
    Pers

Bushpilot,

A friend loaned me his while on a month's vacation in Hawaii. Since I was flying FS2004, where things are much slower than combat, I was amazed on how you can "look" around, lean forward, etc, as others have said. Too soon I had to return it to him :'(

When by chance my kids got one for me for Christmas (how did they know ?) for use with IL-2 I was completely disoriented at first with the fast action.

But then I read advice at M4T that helped ease me in to the "comfort" zone.

That is, go in QMB and just fly around with no enemy aircraft enabled. Have a look at your instruments, the scenery, and just enjoy.

Then, again going into QMB, assign one enemy but have his plane "empty" of ammo so he can't shoot at you. Practice trying to chase him around.

Then go into a dogfight map and practice your takeoffs and landings.

It took me about a month to get used to it. Your results (and gas mileage) may vary ;D

As for the hat clip that comes with it, I'm not a hat person so I mounted it on top of my headset. Its works.

So go for it !

Trapper
    Some see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full. I see a glass that's too big.

Hi Pers and Trapper,

Just had my set ordered! (Birthday coming up )

Trapper, thanks for the advice, I'll certainly do that when I recieve it. (it's in backorder, so I gues they will have to fly them in from the States.)

Pers, Yes a wingman is something imperative, I hated myself for losing sight of you last Sunday. But now I blame it all on the missing Track IR. ;D

cheers,

Bushpilot
    nunc aut nunquam!

There's another less obvious benefit to TrackIR ...... with many joysticks, since you no longer need the views to be assigned to a hat switch, the switch can be used to activate other things. At a minimum you have four new switch positions available, perhaps eight. If you have a more sophisticated joystick, you can program even more. The problem then becomes one of remembering what you put on what hat position!

We should have such problems!

You'll be glad you opted to try the TrackIR.
    Pers

By the way, DON'T get discouraged with the learning curve. It took me about 9 months. I've never heard of ANYONE else taking anywhere near as long lol.

I'd sooner give up my joystick than my Tack IR.

The modder did an exceptional job implementing the extra 3 directions of freedom in that they are disabled if you use gunsight view (so you can't misalign your sight-to-target line by accident). If you can manage to use the gunsight while still in 6DOF (not in gunsight view), then you will be able to "pull lead" like never before, and you'll really feel like your leaning into your sight to use it.

One thing I have not taken to in the IL2 mod implementation is the automatic "magnification" if you lean forward. I'm sure some folks like it fine; I turn that feature off.

But, forget I'm even running my mouth. When you get it, the wrapping will become so much shrapnel, and you'll soon be advising others. Believe it or not, it all started when a gamer asked a medical equipment supplier if he could tweak his software to make the device work in games.

"Sure."

The rest is history.

Hi all,

Got my Trackir thingy, boy that thing is small

Somehow I only got 3 dof in il2, 4.09b1m modded, but it's supposed to have 6 dof isn't?

Any ideas?

cheers,

Bushpilot
    nunc aut nunquam!