Thread: New Forest Airfields?

Default New Forest Airfields?

Hi

I have just returned from a weekend break to Bournemouth, on the south coast of England. I stopped by a pub yesterday in the very pretty 'New Forest' area, just east of Bournemouth. The forest is anything but new and dates back to 1079 when it was created by William the Conquerer! Anyway, one corner of the pub was adorned by lots of interesting black & white pictures of Spitfires, Mosquitos, pilots etc. I asked the barman if this was just random decoration of if there was any relevance. He explained that the pub was popular in the war with pilots stationed nearby. Naturally, this got me interested even more.

It turns out there were 2 RAF bases in the New Forest, both established in 1942. They are both long since disused, but can be clearly seen from aerial photography. They are:

RAF Beaulieu (pronounced "Byoo Lee") - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Beaulieu
    RAF Stoney Cross - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Stoney_Cross

Here's some pics from today.

RAF Beaulieu

RAF Stoney Cross

Both bases were used by the RAF and USAAF and so I was wondering if you have any plans to add them to the Late War map?

Keep up the great work.

Cheers

PPanPan

Default Re: New Forest Airfields?

Hi PPanPan, thanks for sharing your great pics and hope you enjoyed your trip. Sounds like your little pub is a great place to visit. Not sure if we'll be able to include these or not but will take a look for sure. Thanks for the links.

Booze ;D

Thanks Booze. I understand you have to draw the line somewhere. After all, there were hundreds of air bases built all over the UK during the war. For me though, there's something quite fascinating about these two. Perhaps it is because they are so well preserved (in outline at least) in a now totally peaceful and beautiful spot - a National Park in fact. Hard to imagine the scene in 1942.

Keep up the great work on the BoB map.

Cheers

PPanPan

Hi, I have put together some data for RAF Beaulieu and can PM it to you if like Booze.

Cheers

PPanPan

Hi PPanPan, thanks for your assistance. Check PMs. ;D

Booze

Hi Booze,

Just got a bounce back from your email addy, so not sure if you received that info.

Cheers

PPanPan

PPanPan did not receive it. Booze352nd@verizon.net

Many thanks,
    Booze

OK, will try again Booze.

Cheers

PPanPan