Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 7 today

Default Re: Windows 7 today

Quote Originally Posted by 352ndPersecutor
    Trapper,

I have a folder called "Cookies" in the location you are pointing to. Apparently it isn't in your system, or at least it isn't showing in your file manager view. I don't use Windows Explorer as a file manager, thus I see my files and folders differently (I use Explorer2).
    In any event, the cookies used by Internet Explorer (why are you using that browser, anyway ..... it's insecure) are supposed to be stored there.

Have you tried a file search to see if maybe they are somewhere else with one of Windows clever little "links" to them? Wouldn't seem likely though because normally links show up on a directory listing, too.

Maybe you have a view option that isn't activated? I'm guessing, sorry. FWIW, there is a Cookie folder in the location you indicate in my system (Windows 7 Ultimate 64).
    Pers,

When I want to search my C drive I choose "Computer" from the Start button, not the Windows Explorer that is in my taskbar (I'm going to remove that).

I can't imagine what other views I can activate other than "show hidden files" and "show file extensions".

As for that search box on the bottom of the Start window, typing in "cookies" just brings up any documents that contain the word.

Bu I did find a cookie folder but it is in the default Users folder and is empty.

See screenshot. I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and am puzzled that AVG can find my cookies but I can't ???

I do have Firefox/Mozilla but have to get used to it.
    Some see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full. I see a glass that's too big.

Quote Originally Posted by 352ndTrapper
    Trapper,

I have a folder called "Cookies" in the location you are pointing to. Apparently it isn't in your system, or at least it isn't showing in your file manager view. I don't use Windows Explorer as a file manager, thus I see my files and folders differently (I use Explorer2).
    In any event, the cookies used by Internet Explorer (why are you using that browser, anyway ..... it's insecure) are supposed to be stored there.

Have you tried a file search to see if maybe they are somewhere else with one of Windows clever little "links" to them? Wouldn't seem likely though because normally links show up on a directory listing, too.

Maybe you have a view option that isn't activated? I'm guessing, sorry. FWIW, there is a Cookie folder in the location you indicate in my system (Windows 7 Ultimate 64).
    Pers,

When I want to search my C drive I choose "Computer" from the Start button, not the Windows Explorer that is in my taskbar (I'm going to remove that).

I can't imagine what other views I can activate other than "show hidden files" and "show file extensions".

As for that search box on the bottom of the Start window, typing in "cookies" just brings up any documents that contain the word.

Bu I did find a cookie folder but it is in the default Users folder and is empty.

See screenshot. I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and am puzzled that AVG can find my cookies but I can't ???

I do have Firefox/Mozilla but have to get used to it.
    bump
    Some see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full. I see a glass that's too big.

Trapper,

The only file manager that Windows uses natively (this is true in all versions) is Windows Explorer. The method you describe using to view your files and folders is one of many ways in Windows to gain access to Windows Explorer.

Using Explorer2 when I look in the Cookies folder you are describing I see a few ... there are times when I have to use Internet Explorer because no other site will work without it; Windows Update is the prime violator here. Consequently, I have a scattering of cookie files stored there.

Firefox does not store cookies as individual files; they are stored in an .xml file in the Firefox folder structure. I was under the impression that Internet Explorer did the same (at least back in version 6), but my impression may be wrong because, as I have mentioned, I rarely use it and don't concern myself much with it.

Also, return to your Folder Options control box in Control Panel, select <View>, and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" .... ignore the resulting warning. That step may get you to where you want to be.

Pers

Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

Trapper,

The only file manager that Windows uses natively (this is true in all versions) is Windows Explorer. The method you describe using to view your files and folders is one of many ways in Windows to gain access to Windows Explorer.

Using Explorer2 when I look in the Cookies folder you are describing I see a few ... there are times when I have to use Internet Explorer because no other site will work without it; Windows Update is the prime violator here. Consequently, I have a scattering of cookie files stored there.

Firefox does not store cookies as individual files; they are stored in an .xml file in the Firefox folder structure. I was under the impression that Internet Explorer did the same (at least back in version 6), but my impression may be wrong because, as I have mentioned, I rarely use it and don't concern myself much with it.

Also, return to your Folder Options control box in Control Panel, select <View>, and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" .... ignore the resulting warning. That step may get you to where you want to be.
    Pers,

Unchecking "Hide protected operating system files" sounded logical but ..... no cookie folder again :'(

What is this Explorer2 you're talking about ? Where is it and ? Remember, I'm new to this format of screens. And thanks for your patience as I crawl through Win 7 learning.

Trapper

Hmmmm, I really expected, Trapper, that unchecking that option in the Files dialog would work for you. Darnit anyway.

Explorer2 is available here. I believe there is a free evaluation version available. However, I wouldn&#39;t expect you to see anything using Explorer2 that you can&#39;t see in Windows Explorer .... the source of the problem is probably elsewhere.

Try this: Highlight your UserName folder in Users, Right-Click it, and select Properties. In the resulting dialog box select the "Security" tab. Now click on "Advanced". Click on the "Owner" tab.

Who is the "Owner" of the folder? If it isn&#39;t Trapper, let&#39;s make it so. Click the "Edit" button.

Look in the "Change owner to" box. Is Trapper there? If so, Highlight it. If not, click "Other users or groups", type "Trapper" in the white text area and click "Check Names". Your Trapper user should show up. Select it and click "OK".

Back in the "Owner" box, "Trapper" should now be there. Make sure it&#39;s highlighted, tick the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" box, and click "OK".

When it&#39;s done, Click the "Permissions" tab. Highlight your Trapper" owner and click "Change Permissions". Highlight "Trapper" and click "Edit". Tick all the boxes under "Allow". Click OK.

Make sure "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" is ticked and click "OK". And Click "OK" again, and click "OK" a third time. Now your user "Trapper" owns everything in that folder and has complete access to it.

Take a look and see if your cookies show up now.

You can use this "take control of" trick just about anywhere in the system you want to. By doing so you are bypassing M$&#39;s effort to protect you from yourself. DO NOT use this trick on files or folders involved in your Windows folder (or do so at your own risk) nor any files and folders involved in your Anti-Virus program

Good luck.

Pers

Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

Hmmmm, I really expected, Trapper, that unchecking that option in the Files dialog would work for you. Darnit anyway.

Explorer2 is available here. I believe there is a free evaluation version available. However, I wouldn&#39;t expect you to see anything using Explorer2 that you can&#39;t see in Windows Explorer .... the source of the problem is probably elsewhere.

Try this: Highlight your UserName folder in Users, Right-Click it, and select Properties. In the resulting dialog box select the "Security" tab. Now click on "Advanced". Click on the "Owner" tab.

Who is the "Owner" of the folder? If it isn&#39;t Trapper, let&#39;s make it so. Click the "Edit" button.

Look in the "Change owner to" box. Is Trapper there? If so, Highlight it. If not, click "Other users or groups", type "Trapper" in the white text area and click "Check Names". Your Trapper user should show up. Select it and click "OK".

Back in the "Owner" box, "Trapper" should now be there. Make sure it&#39;s highlighted, tick the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" box, and click "OK".

When it&#39;s done, Click the "Permissions" tab. Highlight your Trapper" owner and click "Change Permissions". Highlight "Trapper" and click "Edit". Tick all the boxes under "Allow". Click OK.

Make sure "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" is ticked and click "OK". And Click "OK" again, and click "OK" a third time. Now your user "Trapper" owns everything in that folder and has complete access to it.

Take a look and see if your cookies show up now.

You can use this "take control of" trick just about anywhere in the system you want to. By doing so you are bypassing M$&#39;s effort to protect you from yourself. DO NOT use this trick on files or folders involved in your Windows folder (or do so at your own risk) nor any files and folders involved in your Anti-Virus program

Good luck.

Well Pers, after following your detailed instructions and also the unchecking the operating system files here is what I got:

SUCCESS ! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks buddy !