Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 today

Default Windows 7 today

FYI

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/10/22/w...tml#cnnSTCText

I'm curious about the "free" part of this:

Another feature that grew out of discussions with computer makers and business customers is the addition of an "XP Mode"--an option that allows Windows 7 users to run a free, virtualized copy of Windows XP to run older applications that aren't compatible with newer operating systems.
    Some see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full. I see a glass that's too big.

Default Re: Windows 7 today

Being in the computer business, we have found numerous applications that despite our best efforts, just will not run in either Vista or Win7 - they just plain won't work, no matter how much fiddling we or the 'creator' does. In those cases, we have had to determine if the application is a 'critical need'; if "yes" work with author to rewrite for compatibility, and "no", explore other applications to replace them.

The option MS is providing is a 'workaround' that "creates a virtual WinXP environment" so that you can continue to run these 'oddball' old programs untilsomething better comes along. Its an 'emulator' plain and simple. While I haven't tested it myself, others say its fairly good. Don't expect to run IL2 with it though..........

"War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

Quote Originally Posted by 352ndOscar
    Being in the computer business, we have found numerous applications that despite our best efforts, just will not run in either Vista or Win7 - they just plain won't work, no matter how much fiddling we or the 'creator' does. In those cases, we have had to determine if the application is a 'critical need'; if "yes" work with author to rewrite for compatibility, and "no", explore other applications to replace them.

The option MS is providing is a 'workaround' that "creates a virtual WinXP environment" so that you can continue to run these 'oddball' old programs untilsomething better comes along. Its an 'emulatior' plain and simple. While I haven't tested it myself, others say its fairly good. Don't expect to run IL2 with it though..........

Oscar, I am familiar with machines that run emulation. The one place I worked had a RCA Spectra 70 emulating a IBM 360-50. Why ? It was an Army "surplus" machine.

I'm curious why you say that IL2 won't run in Win 7 with the XP Mode ?

Trapper
    Some see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full. I see a glass that's too big.

Trapper,

There is no reason to concern oneself with running IL-2 in Windows 7 using an XP virtual environment. IL2 runs just fine under Windows 7, even in 64 bit mode, without worrying about compatibility issues. I've been running it in that fashion, both as server and client, in 64 bit mode, for almost a year.

If, in an individual machne with unusual (perhaps) configuration issue, IL-2 need XP compatibility to run, it is an easy manner to <right click> the executable and select "Compatibility Mode' and choose XP and the applicable Service Pack.

A virtual machine, as applied to IL-2, is unnecessary, in my experience.
    Pers

Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

That's encouraging news Pers. Thanks for taking the time to explain. So, if was to buy a new PC today with Windows 7, IL2 should run fine?
    Thanks
    PPanPan

Quote Originally Posted by PPanPan
    That's encouraging news Pers. Thanks for taking the time to explain. So, if was to buy a new PC today with Windows 7, IL2 should run fine?
    Thanks
    PPanPan
    Correct, PPanPan.

Windows 7, like Vista, in the 64 bit flavor (and on any new machine, in my opinion, one should opt for the 64 bit version -- unless of course you don't have a 64 bit processor -- hard to imagine, but possible, I suppose), divides what XP had as C:/Program Files into C:\Program Files\<Program Installation> and C:\Program Files (x86)\<Program Installation>. The former is where all native 64 bit programs are installed by default; the latter is where all 32 bit programs are installed, by default.

So, while the path name changes, the concept and folder structure is identical. I've put 32 bit programs in the 64 bit folder structure and they work fine; I believe the folder structure is an organizational thing, largely if not only.

In a file manager (Windows Explorer, for example), by <right-clicking> on a program a Vista-like option is available to choose Compatibility and other things, like Administrator Use. These options are more numerous in Windows 7, I've been able to install almost every program I have. Actually all programs I have except one. I have an older 32 bit game whose 32 bit installer won't run in a 64 bit environment and I haven't been able to fool it so far. This XP virtual machine mode might work for that purpose. I will no doubt try it one of these days just because I'm nosy, and when I do I'll be wondering how much overhead the Virtual Machine adds.

Meanwhile, back at the Windows 7 \ IL-2 Ranch, you can be confident that IL-2 will install and run fine on Windows 7. Will it run better? Heck, I can't tell ..... it runs extremely well on my machine and, if it drops 5% or gains 5% I probably wouldn't notice. It's smooth, pretty, and without glitches. It most definitely does NOT run worse. That's all I think I can ask for.

I've been using Windows 7 since the earliest beta was publicly available (nearly a year) and I very quickly realized it was, finally, the OS that Windows should have always been. It can definitely be better still, but it is excellent; far, far better than Vista, and a huge improvement over XP. In my opinion, of course. I can think of no reason not to switch, except for price, perhaps.

Pers

Quote Originally Posted by 352ndPersecutor
    Trapper,

There is no reason to concern oneself with running IL-2 in Windows 7 using an XP virtual environment. IL2 runs just fine under Windows 7, even in 64 bit mode, without worrying about compatibility issues. I've been running it in that fashion, both as server and client, in 64 bit mode, for almost a year.

If, in an individual machine with unusual (perhaps) configuration issue, IL-2 need XP compatibility to run, it is an easy manner to <right click> the executable and select "Compatibility Mode' and choose XP and the applicable Service Pack.

A virtual machine, as applied to IL-2, is unnecessary, in my experience.
    Pers,

Thanks for the helpful response.

And also the thorough explanation you give in previous posting.

As you know, I have been looking for a new machine, with the generous help of a few members here.

Seems the sites recommended offer Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit) included with the option for Windows 7 Professional for $31 more.

And since I'll be coming from a XP environment I am certainly interested in anything that may help some old 32 bit programs run.

Trapper

For $31 more I'd definitely opt for the Professional Edition. I'm using the Ultimate Edition.
    Pers

Okay, I&#39;m trying to find the Cookies folder. As shown in the following screenshots the folder is supposed to be in Users/Trapper/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows.

And yes, I do have "show hidden folders" turned on.

Any ideas please ?

Trapper

Trapper,

I have a folder called "Cookies" in the location you are pointing to. Apparently it isn't in your system, or at least it isn't showing in your file manager view. I don't use Windows Explorer as a file manager, thus I see my files and folders differently (I use Explorer2).

In any event, the cookies used by Internet Explorer (why are you using that browser, anyway ..... it's insecure) are supposed to be stored there.

Have you tried a file search to see if maybe they are somewhere else with one of Windows clever little "links" to them? Wouldn't seem likely though because normally links show up on a directory listing, too.

Maybe you have a view option that isn't activated? I'm guessing, sorry. FWIW, there is a Cookie folder in the location you indicate in my system (Windows 7 Ultimate 64).
    Pers