Thread: Become a professional pilot

Default Become a professional pilot

Folks,

Came across a new teaching campaign at http://www.raf662.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28859

http://www.mission4today.com/index.p...etails&id=3102

This is a 28 mission test for being a professional pilot. There is no war in here. Every mission is very short, no more than 5 minutes each. Some of them have a video showing how to accomplish the mission.

To become a real expert pilot.

This is series of 28 missions to perform some tasks. You will have to accomplish every test, and land safety. Most of the missions are finished when you park the airplane in the designated area.

You will have: Multiple landings and takeoffs. Flying below across bridges. Extreme landing approaches. Speed tests, etc.

There are some videos explaining how to perform the different tasks.

Have fun.
    It is much like Zeus-Cats "Straight from the Farm" lessons.

I like training that doesn't last too long and gives me immediate feedback and a "Mission Accomplished".

Some see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full. I see a glass that's too big.

Default Re: Become a professional pilot

This campaign is getting a lot of interest lately.
    I saw a thread about it at the zoo the other day.
    Everyone who is playing it seems to really like it.

Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels

Wheels
    Wheels, its a blast so far. Can you post a link to the thread at the zoo ?

Here is the first test. Now for picture purposes I restarted the campaign again and turned "No Externals" off.

You are to fly "full switch" to challenge you to see if you have what it takes.

You start in the air (about 3,000 feet), find the airport, land, and taxi to hangar and go in.

Remember, externals were allowed for these picture's demonstration.

I'm lovin' it !

edit: Test 2

I landed first this time.

I turned right on the taxiway at the end of the bridges to go to hangar.

It is impossible to fly up before the fuel storage tanks !

Some see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full. I see a glass that's too big.

Quote Originally Posted by 352ndTrapper

Wheels
    I would still be cursing the mission maker and trying to fly under the bridges.

For Good Pilots Thread @ UBI

Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by 352ndTrapper

Wheels
    I would still be cursing the mission maker and trying to fly under the bridges.

For Good Pilots Thread @ UBI

Wheels
    Well buddy, I'm kind of sorry I asked for the link. It was like reading a movie review where the reviewer tells the whole story line.

The many "Tips" on how to get around the challenges disappointed me and I thought to be "cheats"; which defeats the whole purpose of the campaign.

I did like the one guy who did the same thing as me - land and taxi under the bridges to get "mission complete" (50 points).

Then further down a guy posts a Youtube that at first blew me away and I thought "man, this guy is good !" The second test is "accelerated" in the video and only 5 seconds long.

But being of suspicious mind as usual (don't believe everything you hear and only believe half of what you see) I examined his video more closely. Things weren't adding up. His skin color was different from the one that is used in the campaign and you cannot change it.

Then I read, much to my surprise and chagrin, that you can slow down single missions (and those within campaigns) to 1/4 speed (called "flying with time alterations"). I decided to see if that were true. It is. So as a test I show you one of my favorite practices: dive bombing. Now I can usually hit the deck 4 out of 5 times; here is the result of today's test one. It is a phony; "dead-center" deck. I "slowed down" the mission to 1/4 time, which gave me a lot of time to make adjustments.

Then, based on another "Tip" on how to bypass the the "No Instant Success" switch that makes you complete a test before you can advance, I started the 2nd test in FMB. This time I didn't "slow it down" until the last moment so you can see the messages. Had I started it in mid-air the message wouldn't be seen by time I got to the bridges.

Note the color of the airplane which is locked in by the campaign.

Yes, I could have taken more time to fly under the bridges in that fashion but why ? I'd only be cheating you and myself.

I prefer to fly the campaign as it was built; by a professional pilot by the way.

Posted Jul 8, 8:54 AM Probably you are not aware of the fact that author of the 'For Good Pilots' campaign is a professional airline pilot.
    Yeah, a professional "stunt" pilot from how he is challenging me.

So how am I doing ? Three tests completed - 150 points, and two aircraft lost (so far).

Well, I was wrong.

I was talking with a good friend who knows how to fly under bridge obstacles par excellence (right phrase ?). Although he hasn't tried the "For Good Pilot" campaign he said he probably could do it. I believe him after watching some of the tracks he sent me.

At the beginning of each test you are shown a video of what is expected. It looks like an old-fashioned black and white film with lines running vertically through it.

For test 2, going under the bridges, the video was not showing. I just thought "oh well, there is none to watch"

Remembering how to make an introduction video for a campaign I looked in the video folder and took the video file, which had no extension to it, and added a ".trk" to it and put it in the "records" file.

It still didn't work. Got an error.

Then I thought it might be for just 408 vanilla and fired it up. Lo and behold it worked !

So here is how you're supposed to do it.

Shoot the fuel storage tank out of your way at the end ! Who'd have thought ? That guy is really devious !

Then he goes and lands for "mission complete".

That is pretty devious of him.
    I don't think canon fire would destroy the tank in real life though.
    If it did I think it would take out both tanks next to it with the explosion.
    The fireball would probably take you out too.

Since you were able to get the video to work in vanilla 4.08 you should be able to fix it to work in the campaign.
    Watch the video again and at the very beginning start a quick track which is an .ntrk video.
    Let the video go the whole length and it should stop on its own.
    You should be able to rename the video you made to the name he used in the campaign and be able to see it play.
    I am going to download the campaign and see if I can correct the video at least.

Here is a video by Flying Nutcase that should help you or give you a refresher if nothing else.
    Set up a campaign

As far as I am concerned yours is the best and safest answer.
    Actually the safest answer is not to do it at all.
    Any pilot who tried flying under the bridges would lose their license.
    For a video game though it makes a fun challenge.

Wheels

The challenge after the next one is very fun. I'm stuck on the 6th one.

Btw, you CAN change the skins on the planes during the challenges, at least I could. Maybe it's version dependent?

I have no idea how you were able to turn on the first crossroad Trapper. That's some damn nice landing. I had to go all the way to the end and turn on the runway right before the barrels. Damn me for not having thought of blowing them up :P

Quote Originally Posted by Adriorn
    I have no idea how you were able to turn on the first crossroad Trapper. That's some damn nice landing. I had to go all the way to the end and turn on the runway right before the barrels. Damn me for not having thought of blowing them up :P
    Adriorn,

I went all the way through like you, and turned at the end before the barrels. The picture of me saying "I think I'll just taxi" was how I entered.

After I crashed the first time trying it I just circled the field looking it over. What I saw I thought "no way !".

So that's when I landed on the taxiway next to the runway, turned around and very very slowly taxied under the bridges. The 109 was not easy to turn. Just "think" gently ever so gently and slow ! Lots of bursts of throttle with brakes held tightly with rudder.

Let me know when you get to the P-80 challenge (6th one I believe). I'm completely stuck. I don't want to say anything so as to not give anything away. My favorite so far has been the 5th one, and I'll bet you guys will love it too. Not very realistic, but a "blast" to play.