Thread: Altering the Pilot Controls default

Default Altering the Pilot Controls default

This tip has worked for me from Pacific Fighters version 3.0 up but make copies of any files you are going to alter.
    I have never tried this on any of the versions below that but it may still work.
    This tutorial is based on version 4.09b1m.
    I am also using Wind0ws XP and I don't know if Vista is able to do this.
    ----------------

I don't like that I have to assign keys to the Controls every time I create a new pilot.
    Is there a way to keep from having to reassign the keys in the Controls section every time I create a new Pilot ?
    Yes.

Step 1: Using Wind0w's Explorer find the file in the Users folder labeled default.ini.
    (If you don't have Explorer use what came with your system to search your files)
    The default location for this file is C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\Users\default.ini

Step 2: Make a copy of the default.ini file.
    This will give you something to replace the altered file if you make a mistake.

Step 3: Rename the copy of the file default_orig.ini.
    You should have two files now, one named default.ini and the other named default_orig.ini.

Step 4: Open the game and Create a new pilot.
    You can skip to step 8 if you already have a pilot with the Controls working the way you want them.

Step 5: Assign keys or joystick functions to all of the Controls you use that did not have keys assigned to them by the default for your new pilot.
    Change any of the default ones that donít have the key assignment you like too.

Step 6: Click on Apply to accept the changes you have made to the Controls.

Step 7: Exit the game.

Step 8: Using Explorer find the settings.ini file for the pilot that you just created or the pilot you have the keys already assigned the way that you want them.
    The default location for this file is C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\Users\(Pilots name you created)\settings.ini

Step 9: Using Explorer open the settings.ini file and the default.ini file with Notepad.

Step 10: Delete all of the data in the default.ini file

Step 11: Copy the contents of the settings.ini file and paste them into the default.ini file.

Step 12: Now Save the default.ini with the data from the settings.ini file that you pasted into it.

Step 13: Close the settings.ini file and the default.ini files.

From now on when you create a new pilot all of your Controls will be set the way you like them and you won't have to keep reassigning them.
    If you change a Control and you do not like how it works you can change the file back by clicking on the Reset as Default button which will apply the altered default file that you just made.

Wheels

Edit:
    I had some spelling mistakes in the tutorial that I fixed.

A bump for those who missed this tip on how to keep from remapping your Controls every time you create a new pilot.

Wheels