Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7, Gaming, and IL-2

Default Windows 7, Gaming, and IL-2

As most of you know, I've been using Windows 7 as a gaming platform for the past several weeks, maybe six or so. I started with the public beta (build 7000), updated to build 7077, and just last week updated to the Release Candidate (build 7100). I'm using the 64 bit version. My gaming computer is an Intel Q6600 based machine running a DFI LanParty UT P35 T2R mainboard with 8 gigs of ram. I've overclocked the Q6600 from 2.4 to 3.2 ghz and have been rock stable/steady ever since. I switched to Vista 64 almost a year ago from XP, and now to Win 7.

I decided a week or so ago to write up my impressions, the good and the bad, what works and what doesn't, for what they may be worth. I think you might be surprised at my experience, and my opinions. I've not written the article yet -- it's sitting, like so many other things, in the back of my mind simmering on the burner, mellowing, aging, and "developing".

As I was developing my article outline, this site stole my thunder. Start there. I'll flesh out my gaming experiences a bit later. The TechReview article covered most of the description I was contemplating, and did it nearly as well (LOL) as I would have. I can disagree with nothing they say. I can add quite a bit, and will.

Meanwhile, drool over this:

More to come .........................
    Pers

Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

Default Re: Windows 7, Gaming, and IL-2

Beautiful picture, I think I've crashed landed there before. ;D

Looking forward to your tutorials, many thanks Pers.

Booze

I'm working on the article ... not finished yet. One of the reasons it isn't finished is that M$ keeps making Win7 better.

I just found a few gems hidden in the depths of Seven.

I want to know who leaked a picture of Booze's Dover cliffs??
    Pers

Wow, what a Beautiful place!!! Pers am looking forward to your article. Will be doing our first Windows 7 install this week sometime. Still waiting on a couple parts. ;D

Booze

Quote Originally Posted by 352ndPersecutor
    As most of you know, I've been using Windows 7 as a gaming platform for the past several weeks, maybe six or so. I started with the public beta (build 7000), updated to build 7077, and just last week updated to the Release Candidate (build 7100). I'm using the 64 bit version. My gaming computer is an Intel Q6600 based machine running a DFI LanParty UT P35 T2R mainboard with 8 gigs of ram. I've overclocked the Q6600 from 2.4 to 3.2 ghz and have been rock stable/steady ever since. I switched to Vista 64 almost a year ago from XP, and now to Win 7.

I decided a week or so ago to write up my impressions, the good and the bad, what works and what doesn't, for what they may be worth. I think you might be surprised at my experience, and my opinions. I've not written the article yet -- it's sitting, like so many other things, in the back of my mind simmering on the burner, mellowing, aging, and "developing".

As I was developing my article outline, this site stole my thunder. Start there. I'll flesh out my gaming experiences a bit later. The TechReview article covered most of the description I was contemplating, and did it nearly as well (LOL) as I would have. I can disagree with nothing they say. I can add quite a bit, and will.

Can RC run side by side with Vista or is it one or the other?

Quote Originally Posted by 352ndtoo-cool
    I've got a dual-boot system, Vista 64 and Win7 64 (actually, I have a triple boot, also have a Linux installation aboard), and all works fine. I've gotta add, though that I seldom boot into Vista. Win7 is my working OS. I'll have suggestions on the install method in the article.
    Pers

I've got a dual-boot system, Vista 64 and Win7 64 (actually, I have a triple boot, also have a Linux installation aboard), and all works fine. I've gotta add, though that I seldom boot into Vista. Win7 is my working OS. I'll have suggestions on the install method in the article.
    If I understand you, you can't run 2 version of of window on the same machine with out having a dual boot setup? TC

If I understand you, you can't run 2 version of of window on the same machine with out having a dual boot setup? TC
    Sure you can. But you wouldn't want to. You can set up two or three OSs on three different hard drives and select which will boot in your BIOS. That's a hard way to do things, and not very convenient, but its doable.

On the other hand, you can have two separate versions of Windows on a system and the second installed version will see the first and create a boot menu from which you can select the one you want to boot, at boot-up.

Naturally, you can't run two separate instances of an OS simultaneously, unless you set up virtual machines. Virtual Machine setup is beyond my experience, and I can't imagine a circumstance under which I would want to do that, particularly if both were versions of Windows.
    Pers

Sure you can. But you wouldn't want to. You can set up two or three OSs on three different hard drives and select which will boot in your BIOS. That's a hard way to do things, and not very convenient, but its doable.

On the other hand, you can have two separate versions of Windows on a system and the second installed version will see the first and create a boot menu from which you can select the one you want to boot, at boot-up.

Naturally, you can't run two separate instances of an OS simultaneously, unless you set up virtual machines. Virtual Machine setup is beyond my experience, and I can't imagine a circumstance under which I would want to do that, particularly if both were versions of Windows.
    So I can do what you have in the second comment and not have to worry about loosing any data, Vista will still be there with all my programs/data files intact? I was thinking about installing Window 7 RC that's why all the questions. TC

Pers,

This is the buck-n-rail fence behind Cunningham cabin in Teton National Park. I've been to this exact spot. Are you telling me that this is a screenshot from a game?

Jinks

"For most people the sky is the limit, for the pilot the sky is home" - unknown