Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CRAZY HORSE - TF - 51 D Test Flight by DarkStar - VIDEO Links

Default CRAZY HORSE - TF - 51 D Test Flight by DarkStar - VIDEO Links

;D
    Well, it finally happened! A dream since my early youth some 50 years ago - came true last month at STALLION 51 up in the Florida Skys.

I FINALLY GOT A PONY RIDE! ;D

A Crash Helmet & Parachute replaced a Hat & Spurs and my pony for the day was Mustang 4, a beautifully restored TF-51 D WWII front line fighter known as "CRAZY HORSE"

Sensory overload, I mean a really bad case of it began the moment I rounded the hangar door on an 80 degree CAVU day at the Kissimmee Fl airport.

Gleaming in the colors commemorating the heroism of the 352nd fighter group known as "The Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney" (that's what the German Pilots called them ) stood my PONY along with 3 other WWII Mustangs - all ready to leap into the sky.

Flying since I was 15 I knew this was going to be something really unique and the folks at Stallion 51 and my check pilot John did everything they could to provide it.
    After a thorough review & mission brief, pre-flight walkaround we board the plane, strap in and the moment has arrived -

Crazy Horse has 3 onboard cameras that record the flight from startup to shutdown -- I would like to relay my general impression of my flight in Crazy Horse along with the video download links below.

The video links are organized as follows :

DS Movie Trailer ==>> Movie Trailer
    a short teaser sent to my squad mates in the 352nd and other pilot friends.

DS RunUp to Takeoff ==>> Runup
    interesting to Checklist & Everything MUSTANG Geeks, airport and runup procedures are most of it - the end has the advancing of the throttle and leaping into the sky - I'm the guy smiling in the back - then it was my plane from there.

DS Rolls and General Flight ==>> Rolls and Flight
    generally got the feel for the old gal on the way south to McDill AFB and their Gun Range with Restricted AirSpace.  Went through a series of Basic Rolls, Barrell Rolls, 4 Point Rolls and the like.

DS Loops and 8s ; ==>> Loops
    time to really pulll the world around the windscreen over the roads and gun ranges of McDill AFB - and the view was Way Cool.  On Loops and Cuban 8 set up is over runway and roads - check rudder line tracking those as we go over the top - this bird really handles.

DS Landing to Shutdown ==>> Landing

headed this PONY back to the BARN - passed a glider and bald eagle along the way - then to a busy airfield. Got to execute the overhead military break into runway 15 at Kissimmee.  Goal was to put the wheel thru the numbers and on the centerline and we walked away !! My 1st landing in a MUSTANG - doesn't get any better than that boys and girls.

================================

For Non-Pilots - hope you enjoy the views presented - the world is different from the front seats - go get a Flying Lesson at your Local and find out for your self.

For my Pilot Friends - a picture is worth a thousand words - it was well more than you can imagine from a sensory/focus viewpoint but a true testament to the engineers who came up with this plane - it truly was the best fighter in World War II and in my book - of all time !!

To the folks at Stallion 51 www.Stallion51.com - nothing but the best to say about the facilities, staff, John my Check Pilot and of course "All the Little Ponies" - amazing !!

I will be happy to answer any questions in this forum post anyone has about this !!

and yes, that Merlin 65 pumping 1650 V-12 Horses through your hands and feet could be considered by many to be the "second best thing in the world":o
    352nd DarkStar
    Out of the DARKNESS . . . .

. . . . . a MENACE was BORN *

Default Re: CRAZY HORSE - TF - 51 D Test Flight by DarkStar - VIDEO Links

Links repaired, Dark, and excellent post made a sticky.

Dark.....maybe you should email them that Crazyhorse was a 486th bird, not a 48th.....lol

Dark, what are your thoughts regarding how the real Pony compares to the IL-2 virtual representation?

Inquiring minds want to know!
    Pers

Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

Dark, you are on my shootdown list for the next year!!! Congrats on a dream come true and thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Chaco
    Nathan "Chaco" English

??? NOW THAT'S A VERY GOOD QUESTION ???

Generally with Sim Flying - along with actually doing high performance singles in both visual and instrument flight in plane over many years -

I have always found sim flying, especially multi player, useful for spatial awareness training, procedure and instrument refreshing in FS 2000-X, and with the better sims, exploring the various flight envleopes and handling characteristics of a variety of planes.

When it was just keyboards and small monitors the actual flying part and performance models of available a/c was pretty tame. I must say that that has really changed and with the addition of all the graphics we have today and variety of modeling of conditions for flying a lot more useful experiences can be applied to the real world and vs a versus.

Stereo head sets, Rudder Pedals - a good stick and hotas (X-52 mapped for me) - and IRTrakker 6 dof - with the lights down low has actually given me vertigo on occasion and really adds to the pilot sense to the game that had been lacking.

NOW as far as the P51 in the game and CRAZY HORSE - there were a number of familiar things.

The general layout of the cockpit and sight picture out the plane was similar, although I was amazed how much forward over the nose visibility there was from the back seat in the dual cockpit - may have been due to some angle of attack and raised seat - I'm about 6' 2" and 180 and while cramped, I really felt attached and sitting with a plane bolted to me - the view was ceratainly panoramic - and in this it just can't be duplicated in the sim world.

Surprisingly I found roll rates and general level type flight characteristics to be pretty much what we experience with the P51 in the sim and facilitated a bit the quick familiarization with that aspect of the plane. Acceleration in the game is more pronounced, but then again we didn't go above 55 inches on the manifold - and in the game the extra to 70 may be the diff in the FM there. As far as cruise at 38 inches / 2300 rpm and performance work at 55 inches / 24 rpm - climb rates and speeds were similar. I can tell you this thing will climb the first 1000 or so quickly and doesn't bleed speed very fast.

More Extreme Handling Issues - you know how all the new gamers, and the rest of us complain of the 51 snapping out on hard breaks into a spin or accelerated stall compared to most planes in the game, and with patience and a gentler hand it really can be a fun plane to fly ?? Well, it really is a bit touchy in that department but when you are in the real thing you feel it coming on and can recover and work with it in the manuever; ie; an acceraleted break or two I had early on in the rolls.

G-Loading - due to the nature of the plane some 60 years after it was built, this part was more tame than I am used to in high performance planes but we still managed 4 - 5 g's in the pulls, but little negative G's were desired as after 13 seconds inverted flight can cause some engine issues. I had a little trouble holding a positive G inverted at first but figured it out pretty quickly - Of Course the Game allows for almost unlimited G-Loading with no untoward physical effects, except maybe lawn darting.

Concerning Landing & High Workload Environment - did I mention the whole flight was "Sensory Overload" and no more important place to deal with that is in the runway environment in the real world. Kissimmee skies were crowded and when offered the landing overhead break style I almost said no but pushed on . The procedures, speeds, profiles, all were what we do in the game coming back to base and really made things like watching outside reference points, glancing at the dials automatically to catch speed, sink rates, etc.., keeping the head out of the cockpit, and the general final lineup and flare at the numbers - all was way to familiar to the game and helped in this particular airplane ALOT ! ( As a pilot with many landings of all sorts - I was really pleased with this one and I really do believe the game added a familiarity with things that you genenrally don't get in the first hour of a real plane)

As Far as the GUNS and ORDINANCE - they were firing mortars off on the north end of the range at McDill and it looked like fun from 5000 feet and above (our restriction from the military contoller) and I would have loved to join in with a wing full of 50's - guess I'll have to just keep enjoying shooting at your tails and watching those pieces come off. Hope this little narrative was of some interest.

And Yes Virginia - that MERLIN is the Sweetest Sound that rattles thru your bones - - - and is remembered.

One other thing Pers and to my fellow WWII Sim Pilots - - I had a few moments taking a sip of water and a breather sitting at 8,000 feet under a bright florida sky. The bubble cockpit and my scan filled the sky and I for a moment thought of all the Dee Johnsons, Punchy Powells, My Uncle Joe a leatherneck who was lost in Corsair in 43 in the Slot, and all the other pilots who risked their young lives in these machines.

With the slight smell of gas and oil, the rumbling of the Merlin, the gentle bumps of a warm florida sky with unlimited visibility - I felt really alone in a big sky and imagined what dangers befell those WWII heroes on all sides - I stuck my thumb to the sun, squinting thru my visor and looked for any foes pouncing from above and realized that for the bravery of all those who built and flew these machines - there was nothing but a great day for me and my shiny Pony
    352nd DarkStar
    Out of the DARKNESS . . . .

. . . . . a MENACE was BORN *

Since I don't fly in real life all I can do is compare it to the sim experience.
    Most of the flight was filmed in the F8 View with some F2 View for contrast.
    At the end the pilot was helping you taxi by using the 6DOF feature by sticking his head outside the cockpit to look around. ;D
    The only somewhat weird thing to me was that the straight ahead (F8) view made the wings look swept forward.

Your comparison of the real thing with the sim experience is very enlightening to me.
    I have been reading Ramblin Jack's posts in Flight Training for dummies recently.
    I actually understood quite a bit of what was being said due to those tutorials.
    They are excellent videos DarkStar thanks for sharing them.
    It looks like you had a ball !!!

Wheels

Thats 'cause our RJ is Top Notch!!! :-) a real life flight instructor. He's shown me that this sim is more than a game.

Absolutely Fantastic DarkStar ! ! !

Thanks for letting me watch you.....and thanks for letting me ride with you !

[b]It was a bit windy back there sitting on top of the vertical stabilizer but I didn't mind ;D
    Some see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full. I see a glass that's too big.

Thanks for the rid DarkStar.
    Flying as BlitzPig_TOAD

"In the heat of battle, you will not rise to the occasion.
    You will shrink to the level of your training."