Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Croydon

Default Re: RAF Croydon

Booze, I wish I could get screen caps that sharp and crisp, all of mine seems to have a case of the giggles. TC

That pics are beautiful mate!!!

I think I will upgrade my machine as soon as u release this map to enjoy it at its full potential.

Cheers!!! And GOOD WORK!!! :o :o :o

TC, it all comes down to my very understanding wife who puts up with my pc parts addiction. I just say "Honey I'll never be able to shoot down Pers unless I buy this part", and she gives me the look, shakes her head in understanding and off I go to place an order with Tigerdirect or Newegg. ;D

Kokakolo thanks, we hope you will enjoy flying it as much as we did in putting it together. Its definitely a Labor of Love.

Booze

I knew it! I knew it! Pers, Booze has got some sort of special piece of equipment that we don't have. That's the reason he keeps shooting us down. Now if we can break Mike's thumbs, we be fairly competitive with the rest of these guys.

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllll truth be told you guys still get me alot more than I get you. But it sure is fun picking on the CO and XO.

To answer some of your questions during the recent airfield testing....................and why it was important to include this base....

Croydon Airport was an airport in South London which straddled the boundary between what are now the London boroughs of Croydon and Sutton. Croydon was the first airport in the world to introduce air traffic control, in 1921. It was the main airport for London before it was replaced by Northolt Aerodrome, London Heathrow Airport and London Gatwick Airport.

It originated as two adjacent World War I airfields - Beddington Aerodrome, one of a number of small airfields around London, which had been created for protection against the Zeppelin raids in about May 1915, and Waddon Aerodrome of 1918, a test-flight aerodrome adjoining National Aircraft Factory No 1.

At the end of World War I, the two airfields were combined into London's official airport as the gateway for all international flights to and from the capital. Croydon Aerodrome opened on 29 March 1920.

It stimulated a growth in regular scheduled flights carrying passengers, mail and freight, the first destinations being Paris, Amsterdam and Rotterdam. In 1923 Berlin flights were added. It was the operating base for Imperial Airways, remembered in the road name Imperial Way on the site today.

In the mid 1920s the airfield was extended, some adjacent roads such as Plough Lane being closed to allow heavier airliners to land and depart safely. A new complex of buildings was constructed adjoining Purley Way, including the first purpose-designed air terminal in the world, the Aerodrome Hotel and extensive hangars, at a cost of 267,000 (11.5 million in today's prices). Although the first day of operation using the new building and layout was 30 January, the official opening was not until 2 May 1928.

In November 1938 the Chamberlain government decided that Imperial Airways, which served Empire routes, should be merged with British Airways Ltd, which served European routes. The new company was known as British Overseas Airways Corporation, BOAC. British Airways Ltd operated from Croydon only from March 1937 to May 1938, when it moved to Heston Airport.

When war was declared in September 1939, Croydon Airport was closed to civil aviation. It played a vital role as a fighter station during the Battle of Britain and was attacked in the first major raid over the London area. Factories in its immediate vicinity were almost destroyed with the loss of six airmen and over 60 civilians. In 1944 Croydon became the base of RAF Transport Command, and in due course civil aircraft operations began again. In February 1946, the airport returned to civilian control.

Gradually it became clear that with technical advances, post-war airliners were going to be larger and the use of airports serving capital cities would intensify. Croydon had no room for further expansion and would shortly be too small to meet evident travel demands. Heathrow was therefore designated as London's airport and a decision to close Croydon was made in 1952. Blackbushe Airport in Hampshire and Northolt Aerodrome in Middlesex also served airlines operating European scheduled flights during the 1950s. Croydon's last scheduled flight departed on 30 September 1959.

Courtesy Wikipedia
    "War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

Additionally...

"Almost 30,000 V-1s were made. Approximately 10,000 were fired at England; 2,419 reached London, killing about 6,184 people and injuring 17,981. The greatest density of hits were received by Croydon, on the SE fringe of London."
    "War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

For anyone interested in more info on RAF Northolt (referred to above) see http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafnortholt/. The base is still technically an RAF base, but most of the traffic these days is VIP Jet traffic, relieving the load into Heathrow, just a stone's throw away. I live right under the flight path and sometimes, in the summer airshow season, we are treated to the odd Spit or Hurri going over as the base is a convenient marshalling point for Biggin Hill and other airshow bases.
    PPanPan

Thanks PPanPan, we should have some shots of this base also in the not so distant future. Thanks again for the link.

Booze