Thread: How to model an Airfield

Default How to model an Airfield

Hi 352,

Im most impressed about your work!!!
    I wonder how you can make all these airfields so they look like their historical counterparts.

I would like to rebuilt one of the Airfields II/JG54 was stationed on, which is Kowno/Kaunas in Lithuania.

What do I need to have to be able to do so.

Best regards,
    Emil

Default Re: How to model an Airfield

I am sure someone will get back to you on this, It would be great to get some of the Axis airfields built for the new map.

Rj

"The most important branch of aviation is pursuit, which fights for and gains control of the air"
    U.S. Brigadier General William Mitchell

Its a black, black art and the "wizard" says, "You'll burn in hell for repeating the process to anyone."

Nah, really its not like that at all.

First off you got to ask yourself:

Do you have graphics skills? Do you know Photoshop backwards and forwards? GIMP is not enough - it can't handle big maps.
    Do you have A LOT OF FREE TIME? (Trust me on this one. Map making or map modding consumes my every free moment - I mean all of them. I'm sure I speak for all the team members here. If I had kids I wouldn't even give a project like this a second thought.)

Then basically, there is no simply no one way to get started. I can sum it up like this:

Make a complete copy of you existing IL2 installation
    Go to AAA and go to the "Map Building" forum and start with the stickies on Map Tools, then there are some guides there to ready also.
    Next you're going to need to decide if you are going to create a map from scratch (read everything you can find on Microdem) or and existing map (you'll need a complete copy of the files for that map).
    Then there is the research in to what you're going to model.
    Then go back to AAA and re-read everything there is to know about map making.
    Then its time to roll up your sleeves and dive in.
    Then go back to AAA and re-read everything there is to know about map making.
    Then go build your first base and test it. Note what you did wrong or what doesn't work.
    Then go back to AAA and re-read everything there is to know about map making - explain your problems - ask questions.

I'm not trying to put you off. What I hope I'm expressing is that there are really only two ways to do game modding. The first is to do it, from scratch, on your own and learn as you go. The second is to join an existing map modding group or team or person and learn from them. The process of map modding is intensive. It almost requires an interaction of other modders - daily - to get thru the process.

Here in the 352nd, Booze has been our "mentor". Without his guidance, none of us would have ever got involved in something like this. You need to find a "mentor" to accelerate you "learning process". The best place to do that is at AAA.

Map modding, IMHO, is like 20 scale levels above something like creating a 40 mission Coop Campaign and then distributing it to the world.

Gird your loins well before jumping into the lions pit.

"War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

Emil, thanks for your comments. LOL, in addition to everything that Oscar has already told you while he was scaring you to death is AAA is the place to start to learn. You can download the tools required for map building and you'll be able to read through the mountains of tutorials written by members of the IL2 community while going through the learning curve. The best piece of advice in my opinion and as Oscar has already said is get on a Team. As you will see while you are researching the better maps come from teams and you will learn faster. Get the basics down and go from there. This sim still has untapped potential for creating new things and the only limit is your imagination.

Best regards,
    Booze

Thanks a lot for daunting replies.

I have Photoshop and I know where to find the AAA forums.
    I just might give it a try with the Kowno Airfield and show you the results(no lol allowed). ;D

Thanks again guys.

Ah, see we really are big on "encouragement" - despite Boozes' belief that I scared the hell out of you. Please do provide us with your updates. We'd love to see what you come up with....
    "War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

Quote Originally Posted by 352ndOscar
    " - despite Boozes' belief that I scared the hell out of you.
    Well you scare the hell out of me why not everyon else? LOL!!!!

Emil if you have the desire just go for it and the rest takes care of itself.

Booze ;D

Of course Ill let you know and see my advances.

Now is there any resource/archive where one finds pictures of the old days?

what Ive found so far is:
    Kowno airfield in googlemaps looks like it never changed:
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=5...4&source=embed