Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: The V-2

  1. #1

    Default The V-2

    The V-2 rocket (German: Vergeltungswaffe 2) was the first ballistic missile and first man-made object to achieve sub-orbital spaceflight, the progenitor of all modern rockets including the Saturn V moon rocket. Over 3,000 V-2s were launched as military rockets by the German Wehrmacht against Allied targets in World War II, resulting in the death of an estimated 7,250 military personnel and civilians. An estimated 20,000 inmates at Mittelbau-Dora died constructing V-2s; 9000 died from exhaustion and collapse, 350 hanged (including 200 for sabotage), the remainder were shot or died from disease or starvation.

    Launch Sites
    Following Operation Crossbow bombing, initial plans for launching from the massive underground Le Blockhaus and La Coupole or from fixed pads such as near the Chateau du Molay were dropped in favor of mobile launching. Eight main storage dumps were planned and four had been completed by July 1944 (the one at Mery-sur-Oise was begun in August 1943 and completed by February 1944). The missile could be launched practically anywhere, roads running through forests being a particular favorite. The system was so mobile and small that not one Meillerwagen was caught in action by Allied aircraft, although Raymond Baxter reported that he shot at a V2 from his Sptifire as it was launched. An average of ten V-2s were launched per day and up to 1000 V-2s could be launched per month, given sufficient supply of the rockets. Data from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V2_rocket







  2. #2

    Default Re: The V-2

    We flew a mission some time ago trying to disable those sites and even attempting to shoot down the missiles in flight. We ran it a couple of times because it was so much fun. Maybe one of us remembers who made the mision and if he still has it on his computer. Pers, do you have it on your machine or did Vista chew it up?

  3. #3

    Default Re: The V-2

    Quote Originally Posted by 352ndDeacon
    Pers, do you have it on your machine or did Vista chew it up?
    LOL, you'll never get a break Pers.


  4. #4

    Default Re: The V-2

    Deacon, I think I put that mission together using the in game map. I will try to pull it up and send it to you.

    RJ


    "The most important branch of aviation is pursuit, which fights for and gains control of the air"
    U.S. Brigadier General William Mitchell

  5. #5

    Default Re: The V-2

    RJ built one...

    I also built a couple of missions called "Operation Crossbow".

    I'll look and see what I have.....
    "War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

  6. #6

    Default Re: The V-2

    Quote Originally Posted by 352ndDeacon
    We flew a mission some time ago trying to disable those sites and even attempting to shoot down the missiles in flight. We ran it a couple of times because it was so much fun. Maybe one of us remembers who made the mision and if he still has it on his computer. Pers, do you have it on your machine or did Vista chew it up?
    Oh ye of little faith. I save everything. I'm quite certain I still have it. I probably have pictures of you trying to find the sites, too. Looking for trains, you were!!
    Pers

    Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

  7. #7

    Default Re: The V-2

    Thanks to R-1 for the great Objects.











  8. #8

    Default Re: The V-2

    Those shots are absolutely stunny Booze :o Although your Mustang looks a bit dirty

  9. #9

    Default Re: The V-2

    Although your Mustang looks a bit dirty
    phillip.ed, you are not the first to recognize that Booze is basically a "PIG".

    The problem is really three-fold.

    One, Booze, as I have stated, is a "P-I-G".

    Second, Booze has a tendancy to shoot at radiators and coolers from a low-six position, which as we all know, causes all those fluids to spray back on his aircraft.

    Third, because Booze has "appropriated" the bosses scotch supply on more than one occassion, Deacon has relegated him to parking his aircraft in one of the muddiest spots at Bodney. I heard that one time Booze was trying to get his crew chief to lay down in the mud so he could walk on him over to his plane. Just rumor on my part you understand, but, I've seen his crew chief and he's the dirtiest person I've ever seen.

    If you could actually make a visual inspection of his wing cords, you'd soon see all the dings and dents that he gets when "bumping" into things around the airfield - crates, towers, ground crews...., etc. The maintenance chief says he's been keeping count and knows for a fact that Booze's tailwheel has been replaced no less than 18 times - a record according to him.

    Trust me, this issue has come to the attention of the command staff. Both our CO and XO have observed the shabby condition of this aircraft. I have heard them both commenting on this on numerous occasions along with other members of the 352nd.

    I'm sure some "remedy" is in the works....... I signed a supply requisition from Persecutor just a couple of days ago for "Lye soap".
    "War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

  10. #10

    Default Re: The V-2

    Quote Originally Posted by 352ndOscar
    Although your Mustang looks a bit dirty
    phillip.ed, you are not the first to recognize that Booze is basically a "PIG".

    The problem is really three-fold.

    One, Booze, as I have stated, is a "P-I-G".

    Second, Booze has a tendancy to shoot at radiators and coolers from a low-six position, which as we all know, causes all those fluids to spray back on his aircraft.

    Third, because Booze has "appropriated" the bosses scotch supply on more than one occassion, Deacon has relegated him to parking his aircraft in one of the muddiest spots at Bodney. I heard that one time Booze was trying to get his crew chief to lay down in the mud so he could walk on him over to his plane. Just rumor on my part you understand, but, I've seen his crew chief and he's the dirtiest person I've ever seen.

    If you could actually make a visual inspection of his wing cords, you'd soon see all the dings and dents that he gets when "bumping" into things around the airfield - crates, towers, ground crews...., etc. The maintenance chief says he's been keeping count and knows for a fact that Booze's tailwheel has been replaced no less than 18 times - a record according to him.

    Trust me, this issue has come to the attention of the command staff. Both our CO and XO have observed the shabby condition of this aircraft. I have heard them both commenting on this on numerous occasions along with other members of the 352nd.

    I'm sure some "remedy" is in the works....... I signed a supply requisition from Persecutor just a couple of days ago for "Lye soap".
    Heh...hef ;D

    LOL, Booze I think Oscar's told it how it is...you should be ashamed

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •