Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wind in missions

Default wind in missions

Is there any place in FMB or a forum, that when turbulence is used in a mission, it tells you from which direction the wind is coming from ?

Something along the line of the static-camera - always facing East when first chosen.

I know on the ground I can just let my airplane (no engine start) blow around like a "wind vane" until it stops and I can read how many mph it is and from what direction, and act accordingly.

On the carrier landings this last coop, when I was coming in for a landing I could feel the turbulence thru my stick at low altitude.

No big deal; just be aware there is wind.

What threw me, although I did put her down was, I was watching the smoke coming from the carrier's stacks and they didn't show any wind direction. All looked good; except at the last minute before "wheels down" I was blown off to the side and had to make a hasty correction. A sloppy but successful "trap".

What compounded my thoughts and discouraged my taxiing to the end of the deck was the stupid mistake (lesson-learned) of folding my wings up. I locked my tailwheel but the wind kept blowing me to side so I quickly put in my chocks and stayed there. I didn't want to be blown overboard sideways.

Next time I won't fold my wings right away.

I guess "smoke" must a a fixed thing and not really "blowin' in the wind".

If it is possible to determine which way the wind is blowing, then maybe mission builders could then "put their carriers into the wind for takeoffs and landings" ....like in WWII.

Your thoughts ?

Trapper
    ps - Enjoyed myself, as usual, tonight. And I did get my first "shoot down" :-) Am gettin' there !
    Some see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full. I see a glass that's too big.

Default Re: wind in missions

The boilers in those carriers make a good bit of smoke. I use that.
    "War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

Quote Originally Posted by 352ndOscar
    The boilers in those carriers make a good bit of smoke. I use that.
    Hmm, gotta disagree somewhat with that. As stated in my first post I was also watching the smoke from the stacks.

Threw together a test coop with carriers sailing in from all four compass points.

Tried clear, poor, and rainy weather.

Saw no difference in smoke blowing.

Don't know what to think.

Respectfully,

Trapper
    Some see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full. I see a glass that's too big.

Explore "Wind Mod" ...

User-Configurable Wind Parameters mod
    =====================================

This mod lets the user configure five wind parameters: velocity, direction, top, turbulence and gust.

Extract the WindConfig folder in the rar file to the MODS folder in your IL-2 1946 game folder.

This mod is not currently compatible with uf_josse's modified wind gusts mod.

To set the parameters, after you've created a mission open up the mission file (.mis) with a text editor such as Notepad, and add a [Weather] section at the end. It would look something like:

[Weather]
    WindVelocity 10
    WindDirection 45
    WindTop 1800
    WindTurbulence 4
    WindGust 5

Parameter Descriptions:

WindVelocity: This is the windspeed measured in METERS PER SECOND. This parameter must be a number between 0 and 70. For reference, 1 MPS equals 1.9 knots, 2.2 mph, or 3.6 kmh. There are all sorts of converter websites you can use to convert knots, mph, or kmh to mps. Here's one I use: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/elp/wxcalc/windconvert.shtml

WindDirection: This is measured in DEGREES and sets the direction the wind is coming FROM. Must be a number between 0 and 359.

WindTop: This is measured in METERS and is the altitude at which the wind disappears. This parameter must be a number between 500 and 10000.

WindGust: This must be a number between 0 and 6. It's not an actual measure of the speed of the gusts, rather it equates to the seven types of weather you can set in the FMB (Clear-0 through Thunder-6). For example if you set it to 5, you get the same type of wind gusts you would get in the mod-less game if the Weather was set to 'Rain/Snow'. Without the mod the best four weather conditions (Clear, Good, Hazy, and Poor) have no wind gusts, likewise with this mod, WindGust values of 0, 1, 2 and 3 have no effect. To experience some gusts you must set the value to 4, 5, or 6. (Although, having said all that, I haven't been able to tell that this setting has much effect one way or the other.)

WindTurbulence: Like the Windgust parameter, this must be a number between 0 and 6, equating to the turbulence you would get in the seven types of weather in the FMB. Without the mod the best three weather conditions (Clear, Good, and Hazy) have no turbulence, likewise with this mod, WindTurbulence values of 0, 1, and 3 have no effect. To experience some turbulence you must set the value to 3, 4, 5, or 6.

Some notes:

-In multiplayer, if the server is running the mod then the parameters set by the server get sent to all players (clients) who have the mod. Players without the mod will see the normal mission weather. If the server is not running the mod, then no players will have the modded wind, even if they have the mod installed.
    - Both real players and AI are affected by the wind.
    - The wind has no effect on an aircraft until the wheels leave the ground. Upon landing the wind stops effecting a real player's aircraft as soon as it's wheels touch down. The wind seems to stop effecting an AI aircraft when it goes into it's landing script on final approach.
    - After adding a [Weather] section to a mission file, if you later edit and save the mission in the FMB, the Weather section will go away. You'll have to manually add it again with Notepad.
    - If you leave out any of the five parameters, the missing parameters will default to whatever they would have been if you did not have the mod, based on the Weather setting in the FMB.

Changes in version b2
    ---------------------

- Fixed problem of game locking up with a memory error when max speed is exceeded.
    - Fixed problem of AI planes flipping over at mission startup when wind direction is from the rear.
    - Lowered the minimum WindTop value from 800 meters to 500 meters.
    - Increased the maximum WindVelocity value from 50 mps to 70 mps. (Just for those who want to have fun with it.)
    "War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

The wind mod was used in the last two Villa Lavella missions. It has no effect, AFAIK, on the smoke from the stacks of ships.
    Pers

Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

Quote Originally Posted by 352ndPersecutor
    The wind mod was used in the last two Villa Lavella missions. It has no effect, AFAIK, on the smoke from the stacks of ships.
    Okay guys, thanks !

And that wind mod sounds interesting.

But here's what I have found out since my last post.

(and why am I even obsessed with things like this ? - I should be practicing my gunnery in QMB against an ace pilot)

Checking FMB and the coop I made, all 4 carrier speeds were set at, their direction of travel noted, and actual speed in game:

(and this was just using "poor" weather with turbulence turned on)

East > West [32kmh] actual in game 29kmh

North > South [32kmh] actual in game 25kmh

West > East [32kmh] actual in game 34kmh

South > North [32kmh] actual in game 29kmh

note: these figures came from completely restarting back to CreateServer/Multiplayer/Coop menu each time to make sure the mission was completely reset and each carrier tested fresh from the start.

What is this telling me as far as from what direction the wind is coming from for "stock" turbulence ?

Its too late at night to think anymore.

Sheesh, I got more important things to worry about.

But.....on one westerly approach to the carrier I caught a heck of a gust of wind that blew me to the right of the carrier just as I was about to touch down.

"Go around time".

That's enough for me ~0x0~ :-)

Trapper

edit: "Without the mod the best four weather conditions (Clear, Good, Hazy, and Poor) have no wind gusts" Oh really ? I must be smokin' that funny stuff again

this was after I went back and tested that "theory" out - corrected for wind on landing; no chocks, but folded wings to cause more resistance to wind

Default Sight picture for carrier landings

First guys, great flight last night !

Pers, thanks for "putting the carriers into the wind" !

Yes I was among the last to arrive back at the carrier and saw it starting to turn, but I felt I could still make it.

But guys, I can do it.....if there ain't about 12 LSOs talking at the same time LOL

I just need to do it "my way".

But it brought up memories of the movie "Airplane".

Some dialogue that went thru my mind on the approach:

Rex Kramer: [talking to Steve McCroskey] Our only hope is to build this man up. We gotta give him all the confidence we can.
    [to Striker]
    Rex Kramer: Striker, have you ever flown a multi-engine plane before?
    Ted Striker: No, never.
    Rex Kramer: Shit. It's a God damn waste of time. There's no way he can land this plane.

Rex Kramer: Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

[Thinking to himself]
    Ted Striker: I've got to concentrate...
    [his thoughts echo]
    Ted Striker: concentrate... concentrate... I've got to concentrate...
    concentrate... concentrate... Hello?... hello... hello... Echo... echo... echo...
    Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon... Manny Mota... Mota... Mota...

Rex Kramer: [talking on the phone to the airport control tower] No, we can't
    do that, the risk of a flame-out is too great. Keep 'em at 24,000. No, feet.

Anyway, this is the way I was taught by "Major Payne N. Diaz" aka' ZeusCat.

Keep your gunsight aimed between the horizon and deck of the carrier, and the "sight picture" I want in my mind.

Btw, the following screenshots are all from takeoffs with 100% fuel, and either 2x1000lb, 1600lb, and 500lb'rs.

First, the F6F:

The SBD:

The F4U:

And....Pers last night !

Default Re: Sight picture for carrier landings

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper

And....Pers last night !

Pers

Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

Glad you guys enjoyed this stuff.

Yeah, I know I'm a nut ~xO^Ox~

But two things I want to clear up:

1: Notice my SBD suffered elevator damage - don't jettison bombs too quickly after takeoff.

2: I did make it with the B-17 but......