Thread: Current progress of our Cross-Channel Maps

Default Re: Current progress of our Cross-Channel Maps

Quote Originally Posted by 352ndPersecutor
    I suspect the chances are very good. But no promises. We are very close.
    OK, thanks .

Not sure if this has been asked before, but will the airfields (or some of them) have additional 'invisible' runways hard coded in and placed so that in coops, aircraft can start off runway. The Libya map available in UP 2.0 does this and it's a great feature to have.

Keep up the great work

PPanPan

Many of the bases are open landing grounds with parking (spawn points) around the perimeter that are typical for the period, some are concrete - as they were in real life. The landing ground type fields permit take off in just about any direction - depends on the particular field. Some fields depict takeoff and landing direction markings, but, for the most part the entire field is smooth as a babies butt and you can land or takeoff anywhere within the landing field perimeter. More permanent concrete bases have more structure to them, so, spawn points and taxi routes are more defined - as they should be.

There are 80+ fields so its hard to be more specific.
    "War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

Many thanks Oscar - all sounds great. I am not too familiar with playing in dogfight mode which I think you may be referring to with spawn points?

I generally make and fly coop missions. When setting an aircraft take-off waypoint, IL2 puts the aircraft at the runway threshold, wherever that might be defined on the map. It's pretty much impossible to have them start anywhere else. So, on your map, will it be possible for aircraft in coops to start along the edge of an open field (e.g. by the dispersal hut) and then taxi into position for a formation take-off? Or,for example at RAF Northolt, will it be possible to have coop aircraft to start somewhere along a taxiway or apron area?

This has been achieved in the Libya map by the map maker adding additional invisible runways to the map. These are not intended to be used for take-off/landing, they are placed so that their thresholds are actually off the main runway(s) so making it possible to start off-runway by setting a take-off waypoint to one of these invisible hard coded runways.

Thanks again

PPanPan

I "believe" once you place the 'takeoff' waypoint, that you can drag them off the end of the runway to areas around the runway. Something to check into. Maybe the guys who've built the BoB Coops for this map can chime in and verify.
    "War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

Sadly not - whilst FMB allows you to drag a take-off waypoint icon anywhere on the airfield, as soon as you enter the game, it snaps back to the threshold. I'll post a screenie of how the Libya map works as this might be a very simple and quick fix for half a dozen or so airfields.

Cheers

PPanPan

Well, the bases are set. We probably won't be making changes at this point - just way too much work involved.

I've made many of the bases on the map and I can't remember making any with invisible runways on taxi ways, I'm sorry to say. I never envisioned such actions within a coop because as I was remaking whatever bases I had made before, I made with the zuti mod in mind. We at the 352ndFG enjoy his style of dogfight missions as opposed to a strict coop mission.

OK, no problem chaps. Just thought I'd ask. It's cool with me that you have primarily built the map with your own preferences in mind. We're just lucky that we'll all be able to fly it too! If ever time/inclination allows, maybe it could be something you would add in the future.
    Cheers
    PPanPan

Final editing and finishing touches continue. The map has been "frozen" to its present form and we are cleaning up various details readying it for release.
    Pers

Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

I am itching with anticipation!