Thread: RED FLAG Announcement

Default RED FLAG Announcement

I’ve always been intrigued by the Red Flag Exercises held at Nellis AFB, Nevada. And, since I’ve had a lot of time on hands over the last few months, I was able to spend some time exploring and researching this event and its history. It didn’t take very long for my mission building juices get flowing after reading the enormous volumes of information available on the subject and that set me to action.

So what I’ve done is “recreate” the Red Flag environment in a copy of Lock On: Flaming Cliffs (heavily modified) on my PC. I’ve also built approximately 10 multiplayer missions for up to 24 players that attempt to “recreate” the Red Flag experience. The missions are not attempt to provide flight training – though that will occur naturally – but, they are an attempt to put you in situations very much like what Red Flag does to put your individual training to some purpose. Some of the missions are straight-up dogfights – pitting similar and dissimilar aircraft against each other with no AI aircraft, others are objective-oriented in either Air to Air (A2A) or Air to Ground (A2G), and include a broader spectrum of aircraft types and missions/tasks.

Typical of Red Flag, two opposing forces Red (Aggressors) and Blue (Friendly) are represented. The Blue Force includes aircraft from various NATO and invited countries. The Red Force is represented by the 64th Aggressor Squadron (F-16’s) and 65th Aggressor Squadron (F-15’s and Mig-29A’s). Authentic paint schemes are used throughout for all aircraft. The mission environment recreates the Nellis Test and Training Range (NTTR) – so yes – it’s a desert environment and specific range areas are available and map or mission designated.

A sample of the missions:

1 – Red Flag 2008-01

Air to Air Engagement – Guns Only – F-15’s and Mig-29A’s

This is dogfighting at its best. No AWACS or refueling support. This mission places emphasis on both Team and Wingman skills and target location, identification and elimination.

2 – Red Flag 2008-02

Air to Air Engagement – Guns and IR Missiles – F-15’s and Mig-29A’s

More dogfighting at its best. No AWACS or refueling support. This mission places emphasis on both Team and Wingman skills and target location, identification and elimination. Additional emphasis is placed on the deployment of AIM-9 and other types of infrared tracking A2A missiles and the use of aircraft radar and threat warning and detection systems in a dogfighting scenario.

3 – Red Flag 2008-03

Air to Air Engagement – Guns and Radar Missiles – F-15’s and Mig-29A’s

More dogfighting at its best. No AWACS or refueling support. This mission places emphasis on both Team and Wingman skills and target location, identification and elimination. Additional emphasis is placed on the deployment of AIM-7 and other types of radar tracking A2A missiles and the use of aircraft radar and threat warning and detection systems in a dogfighting scenario.

4 – Red Flag 2008-04

Air to Air Engagement – BVR Combat Tactics – F-14’s, F-15’s, F-16’s, F-18’s, Mig-29A’s – C’s and S’s, Su-27’s and Su-33’s

More dogfighting at its best. AWACS and Refueling support. This mission places emphasis on both Team and Wingman skills and target location, identification and elimination. Additional emphasis is placed on the deployment of AIM-7, 9 and 120 and other types of infrared and radar tracking A2A missiles and the use of aircraft radar and threat warning and detection systems in a Beyond Visual Range combat scenario.

5 – Red Flag 2008-05

Air to Air Engagement – BVR Combat Tactics – F-14’s, F-15’s, F-16’s, F-18’s, Mig-29A’s – C’s and S’s, Su-27’s and Su-33’s

Bringing it all together! Air to Air, CAP and Interception mission pitting opposing forces in a “Dead is Dead” engagement. Winner takes all.

Red Flag Events 2008-06 through 2008-10 are Air to Ground exercises using both A/OA-10 and Su-25T aircraft types.

So, what’s the plan? Well, here’s a synopsis:

I will host only one Red Flag Event per month on a Saturday evening - specific dates are yet to be determined. This is necessary because of the heavily modified LO:FC environment I have created.

I will also provide the initial Teamspeak capabilities with specific channels setup for both Red (Enemy) and Blue (Friendly) Forces. If we find a network lag issue, then the TS support will have to be relocated to someone or somewhere else.

And, just like the NTTR, I will also be recording the Red Flag Events using Tacview to provide ACMI coverage. After each event, I will email the Tacview files to each participant of individual combat analysis. If you are unfamiliar with TacView, you probably need to do a quick Google and find “Vyrtuoz's lair - Tacview ACMI - Universal Flight Analysis Tool”

Attached is a document that summaries “RED FLAG” information from around the internet to familiarize yourself with the event. (Available on Request)

If this sounds interesting to you, start planning to attend now. More information to follow.

Roger “Oscar” Lavender
    "War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

Default Re: RED FLAG Announcement

You know you can count me in Oscar, however I am in Mexico for the next week or so. When I get back I will be in touch and help with planning if you like. If you think that running TS on you system will in anyway affect game play, we can use the 352nd. I can change channel however you see fit.

RJ

Looking forword to it Oscar.

Downloaded the Tacview program and the 3 mission/tracs.
    Ran 2 of 'em. Looks like they werk.

Will run one of my own over the w/e to see just what's up.

BTW.... got that hidden icon bit figured out....otherwise, would have gone nuts by now.

Samdog
    b]Cap'n Sam[/b]
    <br />Hero of scores of Damsels in distress,
    <br />preferably intelligent, young, shapely,
    <br />blonde &amp; longlegged... oh, and RICH !!!

Thanks RJ and Sammy for the response.....spread the word…..

RJ, I didn't want to impose on the 352nd for the TS support as its not my place to do so, but thanks if the offer still stands; 2 channels: "Red Force" and "Blue Force", should be adequate. Looking for you over on the “Aggressor Side” with me….ha ha! As for mission input – yes. Any scenarios you want. Put it on paper and send it on. I have several yet to build based on Operation Desert Storm engagements seen in a recent “Dogfights” episode.

Yes, Sammy, I use "hidden objects" A LOT as it un-clutters the mission map. You should also look at the individual flight or aircraft start times as they are staggered from the overall mission start time. Remember, LO:FC generates everything based on the in-game clock. I build every mission the same. I put in everything "except" the actual "human-piloted" aircraft flights first and test it. I save it at this point and make copies for future missions – one as a template. Then I edit the original and add-in the actual flights for that mission. Using this method, I can maintain the scenery from mission to mission exactly the same and not have to recreate it each time.

Still finishing up on some minor scenery details around the air bases and play-testing the missions, but all looks good.
    "War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

When I get home Oscar, I will put a Red and Blue channel in the Lockon portion to TS. And please feel free to use the 352nd TS any time you need it.

Gents,
    I'd love to get in on thus... but I'm in Moscow and I can't. Let me know how it goes.

Rex