Thread: Had a Blast!

darcsyde

Default Had a Blast!

Thanks to RJ for the tour of Helga's last night, even thought the server decided to call it quits early. Interesting to say the least. I felt like I was training for an airshow exhibition. I really need to get into that P51D alot more.

With that in mind, a few questions....

1. What are the main methods of attack when flying the P51D?(i.e. Turn 'n' Burn, Boom 'n' Zoom, etc)

2. When flying, how and when should I use my flaps to maintain maximum manueverablilty?

3. Do you fellas utilize all the options in the keymapper?(i.e. mixture, prop pitch, supercharger settings, etc.) Is there a 352nd standard keymap file or config?

4. Where can I find a copy of "Hooked on Phonics"? (since I can't spell my callsign....LOL )

See you guys tonight at 9pm EST.

Default Had a Blast!

1. What are the main methods of attack when flying the P51D?(i.e. Turn 'n' Burn, Boom 'n' Zoom, etc)
    As always, there is no one answer that fits all. Depending on what airplane you are going head to head with will determine your tactics. The P-51 shines at altitudes (above 20.000 ft). I would sugest zoom 'n' boom at the mid to low altitudes. Avoid a turning dogfight when airspeed gets below 250 mph. Without alititude to trade for airspeed, once your speed gets low, it is hard to get back.

2. When flying, how and when should I use my flaps to maintain maximum manueverablilty?
    Limit you combat flaps to short term deployment. They can give a momentary advantage, but at the expense of airspeed. You can also run the risk of jamming your flaps and never being able to regain your speed.

3. Do you fellas utilize all the options in the keymapper?(i.e. mixture, prop pitch, supercharger settings, etc.) Is there a 352nd standard keymap file or config?
    Yes, or at least almost all of them. In order to give yourself the option of flying many different airplanes within the game, it is to your advantage to map the majority of the keys. Sometimes it is to your advantage to reduce engine RPM in order to save fuel. Addionally, some of the Navy fighters, and the bombers all have superchargers that can be used to increase performance as you climb. The 'Beatty' bomber requires that you adjust the mixture at the higher altitudes as well. Everybody seems to map the keys to suit themselves.

4. Where can I find a copy of "Hooked on Phonics"? (since I can't spell my callsign....LOL Laughing )
    You will have to talk to Sammy about the spelling of your name, or you could just tell him to take a hike. He likes it when you talk tough to him.

"The most important branch of aviation is pursuit, which fights for and gains control of the air"
    U.S. Brigadier General William Mitchell