Thread: Take a Tour ...

Default Take a Tour ...

"War has a grim purpose and is extremely complex. Sophisticated planning and doctrine are present at every level. Yet at the point of fire battle is the essence of chaos and violence."

Ted

Default Take a Tour ...

I worked there for four years....there is some really neat stuff just hanging around...

Default Take a Tour ...

I noticed a T-33 just sitting there, I wonder how much that would cost to purchase and get running again :P
    Jinks

"For most people the sky is the limit, for the pilot the sky is home" - unknown

Default Take a Tour ...

Probably a little more than your house will sell for, Jinks. So you may want to put that idea away for awhile.

Default Take a Tour ...

Your probably right, but if someone else got it running I could buy enough Jet Fuel for a good ride
    Jinks

"For most people the sky is the limit, for the pilot the sky is home" - unknown

Ted

Default Take a Tour ...

Sadly, us regular Americans aren't allowed to buy anything from AMARC directly. When a "lot" is designated for disposal, it goes through another agency known as "DRMO". Scrappers then bid on the offerred "lot", with the stipulation that they be reduced to bits before ever leaving AMARC, and melted down shortly thereafter.

Of course, there are exceptions, if you are a museum, the Collins foundation can help you aquire a particular aircraft, or a legion post, or VFW post can aquire a display aircraft, with a HUGE list of rules that must be followed

Default Take a Tour ...

Private contractors such as Hawkins and Powers are able to procure some of these surplus airplanes and convert them to tankers for fighting fires. There is no real civilian maintenance program for these aircraft and the manufacturer does little to support them. They are then operated in an environment where they were never intended to be used. When the wings come off the you know what hits the fan. (C-130) and (PB4Y Privateer) come to mind.

State agencies such as the California Department of Forrestry (CDF), has aquired many S-2s. They have been converted from radial engines to turbine engines and provide a great platform for fighting fires. Another airplane that the CDF has aquired is the OV-10 Bronco. I have worked a number of fires with these airplanes and they fly them right on the edge all the time. The OV-10s are used as "Lead Planes". During a run on a fire, as the name implies, they lead the tankers in for their retardant drops. A very impressive site to see.

"The most important branch of aviation is pursuit, which fights for and gains control of the air"
    U.S. Brigadier General William Mitchell

Ted

Default Take a Tour ...

as an ex OV-110 "TASShole" myself, I'm glad to see that they are still used in their role of pointing out targets...

RJ is correct, state and government agencies can get stuff from AMARC, it's only us regular folks that are prohibited....