PDA

View Full Version : Abbayes Ardennes

Kopfdorfer
08-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Hey Booze,

I just wanted to put my plug in re: the importance of a single Abbey and grounds called the Abbaye Ardennes just to the NW of Caen. I hope you will consider adding it to your maps. Historically its importance only relates to the Normandy battles, but it would have been (and still is) a major landmark from the air, just to the North of Carpiquet Airfield. It is very apparent if you check on Google Earth. It lies about 2km north of Carpiquet, and about the same distance ESE of Authie, and just north of Route Nationale 13(I think) - the main E-W Caen to Bayeux highway.
The historical importance is much more likely to be known to a Canadian (as I am), as it was inland from Juno beach. It is well known that initially all armoured German forces came up against the east end of the allied lodgement on/after DDay, and as an American with historical interest, you would be well aware of the criticisms levelled at the British Commmonwealth forces for their inability to breakout to Caen while the Americans and part of the British plugged away through the bocage to the west.
What is not usually included in consideration of the reasons for the lack of rapid forward progress is the key positioning and location of the Abbaye Ardennes, which had/has two very high stone towers which afforded the Germans an excellent view which reached over 10 km, nearly to the landing beaches. In addition, on the evening of June 6/7, which incidentally found the Canadians of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division deeper in France than any of her allied sister formations, the first elements of SS Panzer divisions came into the line directly in front of the Canadians, and between them and their DDay objective of Carpiquet airfield. The SS unit in question was (part of) the 12th SS Panzer Division Hitler Jugend. The Germans promptly occupied the Abbey, and until the night of July 8/9, it was the HQ for the 12th SS HJ, as well as the key spotting position for the 12th SS Divisional and 1st SS Panzer Korps Artillery.
If you would like to include it and have artists that would make an original 3d model, that would be great. If you don't have that manpower but might consider including this building complex, I have constructed it a couple of different ways in FMB and installed it in the versions of the (1944 at least) Normandy maps that I use for myself made up from v4.09 modded mission objects. Anyhow though its significance is not known widely - though it had an enormous impact on the Norman campaign - if you would like to consider including it, I am pleased to provide references and further info in great detail, as well as my constructs of the building and its grounds.
I urge you to check it out at least. I do know for a fact that yours would be the first WWII CFS map to include it (thus acknowledging its importance to the Normandy Campaign).

Sincerely,

Kopfdorfer

Sgt. Booze
08-13-2009, 05:15 AM
Kopfdorfer thanks for the inquiry, always appreciate the input. While its not likely we will be able to get it into the 1940 map as we have already pretty much locked down everything to be included, if you could send me your references and some photos so we can have it modeled we will get it into the late war map for you. Also if you have any aerial photos especially of the Abbey and the grounds/terrain around it, that would be most appreciated. ;)

Best regards,
Booze

352nd_Deacon
08-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Kopfdorfer,
You say that you have "constructed a couple of different ways in FMB and installed it in the versions of the (1944 at least) Normandy maps that I use "? Well if you have it and are willing to send it to me, I'll see that it gets into the BOB map even as an "object" that I add to an actors static of a nearby airfield so that it can be hard coded into the map. That will do until our model makers can duplicate the original from your photos that you'll be sending Booze for inclusion into the late war map.
Just send it to Deacon@352ndfg.com or just send it to Booze and he'll make sure I get it.
Again thanks for your contribution and we'll make sure you get credit for it.

Kopfdorfer
08-18-2009, 11:24 AM
I will get onto compiling this for you guys - I may not get it done quickly enough, and if that's so I will understand if you aren't able to include it - being a dinosaur, most of my reference material is on hard copy - paper. I am not well versed in translating this into docs that can be sent via email, but I will give it a go - perhaps I will enlist some help from friends that are.
I do have a (photocopy of a ) Canadian War Museum aerial photo dated July 8, 1944 from an article in a military mag about the battles to which I was referring.
Worst case I will scan the photocopy for you and send that. Also included are some photos from 1946 showing the damaged Abbey from a couple of different angles.
The aerial photo at least shows the Abbey and the key villages around it ( Authie and Franqueville ), as well as roads leading to Carpiquet (village and aerdrome) , Buron and Cussy.
Most significant in IL2 terms is likely the fact that during the intervening period between the initial Canadian attempts to take the Abbey ( June 7) and when they actually took it (July 8), the major AA-AAA installation in the area aside from Carpiquet aerdrome itself was constructed in the fields just west of the Abbey - the aerial photos show these very clearly.

Kopfdorfer