Thread: Double Tap

Default Double Tap

Even after flying IL-2, PF, & 1946 for over ten years I am still doing and seeing unexpected things.

Double Tap

I should know better and I was darn lucky to get this one since I was not running an ntrk when I flew the mission. I had to hope the regular .trk function would still play it correctly. Outside view is the only way you can see everything but I was not flying the mission in this manner. Heck in cockpit mode I had no clue I had hit both of them and I was looking everywhere for plane Number 1 when I got the second "Enemy Aircraft Destroyed" message.

Skin on the P-38 was done by mapal.
    "8" Ball 7th PRS: http://www.mission4today.com/index.p...etails&id=4886

Wheels

Tampa, Florida, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Lucky sonofagun!

Your kills, sir.

-Irish

Quote Originally Posted by O'Donovan View Post
    Lucky sonofagun!

PHP Code:
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/P55SxjY.jpg[/IMG] 
    Your kills, sir.

-Irish
    Lol, better to be lucky than good!!!

Wheels

Tampa, Florida, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

One thing I noticed, in the video, is how difficult it is to make out the enemy aircraft. Is there some function which allows the player to tell friend from foe and type of aircraft at a reasonable distance, since it's a lot more difficult to see details in a game than in real life? They do have a pretty great system in WWIIOL. Each aircraft gets a "halo" around it at the distance a person would be able to see it in RL. At the distance the aircraft could reasonably be identified, that halo changes from black to a "friend or foe" color, which each player sets in their preferences. Along with the color, the type of aircraft is displayed. In that way, there is an accurate representation of the distance a player can see and identify an aircraft which closely matches real life. If you look closely in the picture below, just right of center, at the top, is a faint black (unidentified aircraft) halo which has just appeared, in the distance.

Just wondering about identifying possible enemies, as I wouldn't want to waste time closing on another aircraft only to find it's a friendly.

-Irish
    Last edited by O'Donovan; 08-13-2016 at 11:30 AM.

The video was from a QMB mission I set up. I knew the number of enemy fighters that were going to be attacking the airfield.
    QMB - Quick Mission Builder

There are icons available to make things more easily identifiable. There are several options on how tough or easy you want the Icon settings to be for the mission too.
    Dot ranges, a better understanding - http://www.mission4today.com/index.p...p=show&kid=521

You can see the icons in this video.

Wheels

Very cool! I especially liked watching the guy doing the video not following the plotted course and flying back out to sea, missing the airfield entirely. Then he was kind enough to auger in at the end of his landing. I don't feel so bad, now. I have been doing some practicing, using the offline mode in World War II Online, when I get the chance (every once in a GREAT while). I would like to get into the air in a WWIIOL campaign and actually make a difference for the Allies. That might still be a while coming, however. I do still want to get in the sky with you gentlemen as well, but I'd like to not embarass myself when I do so.

One of the things they do in WWIIOL is give you very small airfields. You have to stick the landing at the edge of the field then ground loop at the other end, if you're still going too fast. I've even taken to firing my guns when I touch down, and burning off all the ammunition to let the guns help slow the plane down. If I'm still going too fast, I just raise the gear.

-Irish

Irish,

Don't worry about embarrassing yourself, really. The idea is *not* to fly well (although that comes with time and practice), the idea is to have fun with squadmates that share your general approach to combat flight simming. Some folks are really competitive, into scoring and flying "realistic" (as if that were possible in a simulator), others want to fly to "kill" and love the arcade. We aren't at either pole (if that's an appropriate metaphor). We try to approximate realism, stress organization and discipline (although we are actually neither) and the more laughs the merrier.

Suck it up, set up your game, and come and join us. You may find our way of flying is not your cup of tea; that's okay, we understand that. Or, you may find that we do things much like you would like to do. In that case, we'll let you paint your nose blue. One never knows if one doesn't try.
    Pers

Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

As Pers says, it mainly about getting together to have a good time. Here is one of my recent landings which should show you that we aren't sticking all our landings every time.

Frankly I make more of these type of landings than I really want to admit...

grab2718.jpg

Wheels

Looks like a great landing to me. Think of all the wear and tear you saved on the left tire!

You have me intrigued to try to get more practice time. Unfortunately, with a disabled wife and two ADHD kids (the older of whom has Autism Spectrum Disorder (Asperger)), it can be tough getting a block of time long enough to do anything serious. Remind me what settings you use and I'll see if I can get some air under my virtual wings. *fingers crossed*

I've actually been in touch with Ken McCoy, recently, the President of the 352nd Fighter Group Association. I didn't know it, but he's a virtual pilot as well. He goes by "Parson" in Warbirds. The 352nd FGA will be represented at the 8th AF Historical Society Reunion, this October.

https://8thafhs.org/reunion/index.htm

I was putting a word in for central Florida, in case there is ever another 352nd reunion *hopeful sigh*. Between Fantasy of Flight as the banquet location and Stallion 51 in Orlando, there are three blue-nosed Mustangs within 45 minutes, all of which fly regularly.

-Irish
    Last edited by O'Donovan; 08-18-2016 at 03:17 PM.