Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: The Demise of DCS WWII: Europe 1944?

  1. #1
    Member O'Donovan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    85

    Default The Demise of DCS WWII: Europe 1944?

    Well, it can be said the definition of vaporware is when nothing is released. Can it also be said to be when the developers pretend to develop parts of a game to keep their playerbase from deserting them?

    I was just on the DCS WWII forum. Their FAQ and Backer Update threads were last updated in July of 2014. That means there has been NO real official news for almost two years. It's been almost THREE years since the Kickstarter campaign. Players are complaining the devs are working on a "Strait Nobody Cares About" map rather than the ones promised when the project was placed on Kickstarter (1-Battle of Britain and 2-France). From the looks of the threads, which are mostly about individual aircraft, it appears they're going to "cash shop" the planes to people, one at a time, perhaps without EVER completing the other parts of the game. I posted to their forums, asking about the status of the game and pointing out they should have gotten outside funding a long time ago, to complete the game in a timely manner. I quoted some details about how the IL-2 series was released with over 30 flyable planes, then expanded with updates and sequels. I also mentioned another studio could release a high res WWII sim at any time and totally eliminate their market. My post was deleted within about two minutes and I was issued a completly bogus warning about a rule my post didn't even break. That says more to me than all the posts on their forum.

    On the other hand, has anyone checked out the open source sim "Flight Gear?" --->LINK<--- That might be something members of the community with "mad coding skeelz" can work with. Just a thought.



    -Irish

  2. #2

    Default

    Ooooh, I sure don't welcome that kind of news! I haven't been to the DCS site in several months; there have been aircraft updates and DCS World has been updated, the Nevada map added, but no news that I'm aware of regarding DCS WWII. I'm a Kickstarter contributor and knew going in that there was a risk involved, but that doesn't lessen surprise or disappointment should development stop. The market for hard core combat sims no doubt shrinks every day; the world is dominated by those damnable consoles. Ah well, the Narns will always have their way with us. Such is fate.
    Pers

    Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

  3. #3
    Administrator wheelsup_cavu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Corona, California
    Posts
    758

    Default

    I was concerned when luthier was dropped from the project the scope of the kickstarter project would end up falling far short of its initial funded goals.


    Wheels

  4. #4
    Member O'Donovan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    85

    Default

    I'm a backer of Star Citizen, and I frequently post to their "Other Games" forum. When I posted about the lack of progress on 1944, I was visciously attacked by one of their Kool-Aid drinkers. Since he had ALL the latest information, I let him rant and quietly shot down every point he made. He didn't have one bit of information I hadn't seen, although he DID post an image from their Normandy map.



    Now, I know 1944 is supposed to be a very high-res game, graphically. I was expecting near photo-realism in their scenery. The ground, roads, buildings, and such in these images look like they were taken from World War II Online, and the graphics engine for that game (WWIIOL) hasn't been upgraded in over ten years. Right click on the image, view it, then expand it to full size to see what I mean. If that's the best they have, after three years, it's a sad day for the DCS devs.



    -Irish
    Last edited by O'Donovan; 07-31-2016 at 11:32 PM.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by O'Donovan View Post
    I'm a backer of Star Citizen, and I frequently post to their "Other Games" forum. When I posted about the lack of progress on 1944, I was visciously attacked by one of their Kool-Aid drinkers. Since he had ALL the latest information, I let him rant and quietly shot down every point he made. He didn't have one bit of information I hadn't seen, although he DID post an image from their Normandy map.



    Now, I know 1944 is supposed to be a very high-res game, graphically. I was expecting near photo-realism in their scenery. The ground, roads, buildings, and such in these images look like they were taken from World War II Online, and the graphics engine for that game (WWIIOL) hasn't been upgraded in over ten years. Right click on the image, view it, then expand it to full size to see what I mean. If that's the best they have, after three years, it's a sad day for the DCS devs.



    -Irish
    Irish, I don't know how far along DCS WWII is and I *hope* it turns out to be what we have imagined it could be, but your suggestion to right-click and expand to full size the image to which you linked in order to see how good it isn't is unfair; after all the image size is only 720x225 pixels. In a world of average screen sizes approximating 1920x1440 the loss of detail in a small image like this one is inevitable.

    Regardless, I've never been super-impressed with the map image quality of DCS World; it's okay but far from wonderful. I supposed it would be fair to ask "what is more important, depicting aircraft in flight and combat in high resolution or having a super-beautiful background?" I personally would prefer both, but if I had to choose, I'd ask for the first.

    Speaking only for myself, in comparing the graphics in IL-2 (now 15 years old and counting) with CLoD (still struggling to be newer), the difference alone in image quality is not enough to push me to switch; plane sets and an available world in which to engage and entertain is far more critical. Neither CLoD nor DCS World can compare with the richness that the Honorable Old Lady offers. To replace IL-2 both have a LOT of work to do.

    Just my opinion.
    Pers

    Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

  6. #6
    Member O'Donovan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 352nd Persecutor View Post
    Irish, I don't know how far along DCS WWII is and I *hope* it turns out to be what we have imagined it could be, but your suggestion to right-click and expand to full size the image to which you linked in order to see how good it isn't is unfair; after all the image size is only 720x225 pixels. In a world of average screen sizes approximating 1920x1440 the loss of detail in a small image like this one is inevitable.
    It's not the detail in the picture. Look at the textures. Those are low poly count buildings that are no better than in WWIIOL or some of the Microsoft sims from ten years ago. Then look at the same type of shot from a modern commercial airline flight sim. The difference in the building textures and landscape is startling.

    Quote Originally Posted by 352nd Persecutor View Post
    Regardless, I've never been super-impressed with the map image quality of DCS World; it's okay but far from wonderful. I supposed it would be fair to ask "what is more important, depicting aircraft in flight and combat in high resolution or having a super-beautiful background?" I personally would prefer both, but if I had to choose, I'd ask for the first.
    Absolutely, but if they were just going to deliver "average" or below average scenery, why are the maps taking so long? They're years overdue.

    Quote Originally Posted by 352nd Persecutor View Post
    Speaking only for myself, in comparing the graphics in IL-2 (now 15 years old and counting) with CLoD (still struggling to be newer), the difference alone in image quality is not enough to push me to switch; plane sets and an available world in which to engage and entertain is far more critical. Neither CLoD nor DCS World can compare with the richness that the Honorable Old Lady offers. To replace IL-2 both have a LOT of work to do.

    Just my opinion.
    As someone who is a SERIOUS simulator pilot and who plays the game as much and for as long as you have, yours should be considered an expert opinion. Just sayin'.



    -Irish

  7. #7
    Member O'Donovan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Well, the trailer is out for the Normandy map.



    I noticed there seems to be no actual gameplay footage, only cinematics generated with the game engine. I am somewhat disappointed to see it labeled "available now for pre-purchase" since the map itself was supposed to be part of the completed game which was to be a free download and FtP with one plane. That is directly from the Kickstarter campaign. I think everyone should raise a HUGE stink that ED is going to sell the map that was promised as free, during the Kickstarter. For ED, it's still nothing more than a cash grab, same as with the planes they're selling one at a time instead of putting together into a playable game. They poor-mouth about how tough it is to complete the game, then they drop one item at a time, for maximum profits with minimum effort.

    I also hate when people on some forums try to defend Eagle Dynamics (ED). "Oh, they took it over when Luthier (Ilya Shevchenko) ran off. They're completing it out of the goodness of their hearts." I call BS on that one. As a DCS game, it was always the primary responsibility of the company who owns the intellectual property rights to the DCS series, and that's The Fighter Collection, parent company of ED.

    I assign "blame" (responsibility) as follows:

    The Fighter Collection/Eagle Dynamics/Igor Tishin 65%
    Ilya (Luthier) Shevchenko/RRG Studios 25%
    Oleg Maddox/Maddox: 1C Games 10%

    The only reason I limit Oleg Maddox's blame to 10% is because of what a mess he made of Cliffs of Dover (CloD). If the others trusted him with more than minimal responsibility for the DCS title, I blame it on them rather than him. Truthfully, if ED really wanted to finish the game, all they would have to do is farm it out to 1C. 1C is a HUGE company with over 700 employees and 10,000 business partners. It would take them no time at all, relatively speaking, to complete the game, given their resources. Yes, they would have to be watched like a hawk, to make sure they didn't make another CloD-style muck up of it, but they DO have the ability to do it right, if properly motivated and supervised.

    Given the agreement between Team Fusion and 1C to work on CloD, that may be THE way to go with sims, from this point forward. I would lay real money down that they're going to put out a product that will kick ED's arse and sell it at a much more reasonable price. Moving from "the 1946 pack" to the expanded and improved CloD could become the logical progression, leaving DCS WWII in the dust where, frankly, it belongs.



    Just my $.02...

    -Irish
    Last edited by O'Donovan; 03-12-2017 at 12:05 AM.

  8. #8
    Administrator wheelsup_cavu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Corona, California
    Posts
    758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by O'Donovan View Post
    The Fighter Collection/Eagle Dynamics/Igor Tishin 65%
    Ilya (Luthier) Shevchenko/RRG Studios 25%
    Oleg Maddox/Maddox: 1C Games 10%

    -Irish
    1C:Maddox Games was long dead before the DCS WWII kickstarter was started.
    http://www.giantbomb.com/1c-maddox-games/3010-1218/
    The company was founded by Oleg Maddox in 1992 and created several first person shooters, which were primarily distributed within Europe. In 1999, after the release of MadSpace, they were acquired by 1C Company, renamed 1C:Maddox Games and shifted their focus to flight simulators, most notably the IL-2 Sturmovik series.

    In 2009, following the release of IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover, the studio was shuttered by 1C.

    Wheels

  9. #9

    Default

    The Normandy map will be released before the end of May this year. All indications are that it will be released some time before that. It is already in alpha stage and some of the "official" contributors to the forum are keeping the rest of us up to date on the progress. I've been following DCS forums every day for some time. As a kickstarter contributor, I have the map and the WWII asset pack coming free of charge.
    I have all WWII planes from DCS and I feel that the planes are closer to actual flight characteristics of the real things than the planes of IL2. That's not to say that I plan to abandon IL2 but I am one of the "testers" for the 352nd just as I was a long time ago when we investigated IL2 while we were still flying CFS.

  10. #10
    Member O'Donovan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelsup_cavu View Post
    1C:Maddox Games was long dead before the DCS WWII kickstarter was started.
    http://www.giantbomb.com/1c-maddox-games/3010-1218/
    Err, no. 1C is alive and well and releasing games constantly.

    http://www.1cpublishing.eu/

    They're on the team for Battle of Stalingrad, Battle of Moscow, and Battle of Kuban. I'm sure they wouldn't go for working on DCS at this point, since they're so heavily involved in the competition. Still, back in the day, it would have been a possibility.

    Quote Originally Posted by 352nd_Deacon View Post
    The Normandy map will be released before the end of May this year. All indications are that it will be released some time before that. It is already in alpha stage and some of the "official" contributors to the forum are keeping the rest of us up to date on the progress. I've been following DCS forums every day for some time. As a kickstarter contributor, I have the map and the WWII asset pack coming free of charge.
    Deacon:
    "As a kickstarter contributor, I have the map..."

    Kickstarter:
    "DCS WWII: Europe 1944 will also distribute via a free-to-play model, with the core game available as a free download! That means that a supporter of ANY level will be able to fly and enjoy this game!"

    "Landscape:

    • Normandy. Area of the historical D-Day Invasion, as well as the extensive preparation and follow-up battles."



    And, the cash grab continues. Instead of part of a FtP game, the map is now a cash asset, just like everything else to them.



    -Irish

Similar Threads

  1. 6 June 1944 - D-Day
    By 352nd Oscar in forum General Comments
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2008, 02:49 PM
  2. IL-2 add on Battle Over Europe
    By CLASH in forum General Comments
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 03:51 AM
  3. June 4, 1944
    By 352nd Oscar in forum General Comments
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 07:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •