Well, it turns out the Zero not only couldn't turn with our fighters, it couldn't even out-turn a Dauntless. The secret is at 10:13. "A nine G turn would rip the wings of a Zero." It turns out the Zero is only rated for about six Gs, due to its light construction. The moral of the story seems to be, don't roll back and forth or get into a rolling scissors. Stick with high-G turns, turning one direction at a time.

The pilot is Stanley Winfield "Swede" Vejtasa. This guy had some SERIOUS cojones! At 8:11, "He knows he can beat any pilot in a dogfight." I dare say he was right. Since he was such a talented dogfighter, they yanked him out of his Dauntless and stuck him in a fighter. So, what does he do? He goes out and gets seven kills in one day, in October of that year. And that was in a Wildcat, not even in a later war Hellcat or Corsair. *BOGGLE!*

By the way, I haven't forgotten about you guys. I've been learning a bit, as I can. My wife has had more surgeries, including two in the past month, so I haven't had much time to practice. My latest problem is how to configure the rudder calibration, so I can apply just enough opposite rudder to keep the nose up in a knife edge turn. I'm tired of nosing down and going into a spin, adding too much rudder and nosing up, or oscillating between nose-down and nose-up due to overcontrolling. I'd gladly take any advice from the pros. How should I configure the input profile for the rudder? Should I keep it pretty much a straight line at 45 degrees, or a shallower angle most of the way, with a steep climb at the high end? If the latter, where should I start the increase, at 75%? ...later? Any help is greatly appreciated. At the moment, I'm using a twist stick for the rudder, so I don't have the luxury of pedals.

Thanks! <S!>

-Irish