Thread: Help a newbie ! how does one use the crosschannel map ?

Default Help a newbie ! how does one use the crosschannel map ?

I am really a new newbie, so I guess I am "entitled" to be uninformed ( OK...stupid ! )

Even though I can barely fly, I have downloaded the <352nd crosschannel map > because I want to learn about the Battle of Britain and found that it loads from <Ubvisoft IL-2 sturmovik 1946>??

QUESTION:

1. How does one use the crosschannel map ?
    Is there a tutorial that explains its use ?

2. How can it be part of <Ubvisoft IL-2 sturmovik 1946> ?
    I also fly < BoB II 2.10 >

3. Though I am just a novice, I can land about 50% of time safely . When I can control my a/c
    well enough I will probably make use of this map...at the slo-oww rate that I am learning to "fly: that will take
    2-3 months !

falconhawk

Default Re: Help a newbie ! how does one use the crosschannel map ?

Hello, Falconhawk, and welcome to the 352nd VFG forums.

May I presume you have IL-2 1946 installed on your system? If so, from a DVD or from a download?

In order to fly the Cross Channel Map you will need a modded version of your game. At the present time there are two primary sources of a "unified" mod installation, both of which will successfully load the map, assuming all are correctly installed.

You should always create a *copy* of your game (simply by creating a new folder into which you copy the entire game, preserving your original version), and install whichever mod installer you opt for. There is a discussion of this issue, and links to the two sources of the mod packages, in this thread.

If you have the downloaded IL-2 1946 game, you&#39;ll need to install a patch first, I think. Check with both mod locations regarding that issue; perhaps their installations have solved that problem. If not, check back here and we&#39;ll provide you a link to a copy.

Once you have a modded game installed, install the map according to the installation instructions that come with the map package, also the missions according to those instructions. Start a multiplayer session, select a coop server, select the folder in which you&#39;ve saved the missions, select one of the missions, and away you go. If you have the UP mod pack I believe the map is already included in it, although the missions may not be. I&#39;ve not personally installed the UP package so I cannot speak from personal knowledge.

Hope this helps. If not, post a reply and we&#39;ll do our best to get you running.
    Pers

Ahh, isn't he such an Angel?
    How could you possibly shoot at him?

352nd Persecutor
    1. Yes I have an DVD of < IL-2 sturmovik 1946 > , which I have updated to vers 4.09 .
    I RUN < IL-2 sturmovik 1946 > and I am learning how to fly using <Straight from the Farm > which is an addition

I still don't understand the connection between < Cross Channel Map > and < IL-2 sturmovik 1946 >

I thought < Cross Channel Map > involving the Battle of Britain clearly goes with another DVD:
    < BoB II, Wings of Victory > !

2. Does < Cross Channel Map > add Battle of Britain to the < IL-2 sturmovik 1946 > in the same way that
    <Straight from the Farm > is added ? Is this what you mean by a "mod" ?

Please answer question 2 above to eliminate my confusion
    ================================================== ===============
    After following the download instructions I found
    < C://Program Files /Ubisoft / > now contains 3 folders:
    < [ ]MODS >
    < [ ]Missions >
    < [ ]IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 >

plus the following files:
    <Welcome_to)The_Cross_Channel_Map >
    which explains the historical background of the BAttle of Britain

An 8 page pdf
    <Welcome_to)The_Cross_Channel_Map >
    repeates the historical background above

3 application files
    < xdel > 4KB Application
    < xcopy> 30KB Application
    < flc > 63KB Application
    ================================================== ===============

3. If this is OK what is the next step ?

Thanks for being patient with my questions.
    falconhawk

Does < Cross Channel Map > add Battle of Britain to the < IL-2 sturmovik 1946 > in the same way that
    <Straight from the Farm > is added ? Is this what you mean by a "mod" ?
    Falconhawk,

No, CCM does not add the Battle of Britian to IL-2 in the same way as Straight from the Farm (with which I am NOT familiar) does. That is not what I mean by "mod".

About two years ago the security of IL2 was "broken" and modifications have become available. The application of the "Mods" created quite a rift in the IL2 community, dividing purists from those more "adventurous". Changes to the game were, and still are, occurring at a fast and furious pace. The 352nd VFG has developed an ETO map as one of these mods. To use the map one must have a "sound mod" installed on one's game.

The "sound mod" is what I was referring to in my earlier message, one available from the folks at SAS and the other at the UP site. The "mod" package modifies the original game, adding a *bunch* of functionality to the game, not the least of which is much better sounds. More aircraft, more maps, additional eye candy, effects, etc. etc. etc. While a non-modded IL-2 game is terrific, the world *really* opens up with the installation of one of the mod packages. The two most popular packages are very similar and perform the same functions, but use separate approaches.

The Cross Channel Map will not work with a non-modded game. It requires either of the two mod installations to work and, once installed, is simply another "selectable map" among those in your FMB (Full Mission Builder). Missions created to use the map are placed in your Missions/Net/Coop or Dogfight folders and flown accordingly.

The MODS folder in your C:\Program Files\Ubi-Soft folder should actually be located in the IL-2Sturmovik 1946 folder. Likewise the Missions folder. However, putting them into your existing game will not cause the map to work in your game because you don't have a Sound Mod installation added to your game.

How do you do that?

Well, FIRST, make a COPY of your game in a separate folder. Call it anything you like, but name it something distinctive so you can tell the difference between the two installations.

SECOND, go either to the SAS site or to the UP site and download their current mod installer. Add that installer to the COPY of your game. You should now have two games, one the original, the other the modded version. You can fly either one, but after flying the modded version I expect you'll soon ignore the original version.

If you installed the UP mod, the CCM map is probably already there. I'm not sure about the missions; you may have to add them yourself. The current HSFX version may not have the map; you'll need to add that manually using the installer you downloaded from us. Run the installer, point it to your modded game (not your original game), and the installer will do the rest.

Hope this helps clarify things for you.
    Pers

QUESTION:
    1. where are the "SAS site" and the "UP site" ?...what are these sites?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. your previous answer:
    [ I'm not sure about the missions; you may have to add them yourself. ]

QUESTION:
    does "missions' refer to < Missions > that I mentioned in my previous e-mail ?

< C://Program Files /Ubisoft / > now contains 3 folders:
    < [ ]MODS >
    < [ ]Missions >
    < [ ]IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 >
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3. OK now I understand that < IL-2 sturmovik 1946 > can be expanded to include the CCM .

QUESTION:
    Does adding CCM mean that < IL-2 sturmovik 1946 > is then expanded to include the Battle of Britain as
    an add-on game ?

Thanks for the help.

falconhawk

Answers:

1. The SAS site (HSFX).

UP site (Ultrapack).

2. Yes. The contents of the Mission folder you describe should be moved to your <Game Folder>\Missions folder structure. They will go into Missions\Net\Coop or Dogfight, as appropriate for the type of mission involved. The map installer instructed you to point it to where your game folder was located .......... i.e., C:\Program Files\Ubi-Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 (or adjust as appropriate for your own system). Once the installer knows that, it copies the files into the appropriate folders for you. But it must be told where your particular game location is. In your case it sounds like you stopped at C:\Program Files\Ubi-Soft\, and the installer copied everything into that folder. That&#39;s why you see the map files in the wrong location.

3. Okay, calling adding the map an "expansion" works. It&#39;s really an addition to a modded game, but in a sense it is an "expansion". Not so much as an "Expansion Pack" would be, as the latter is more formally thought of, but the label is otherwise accurate. But adding the map is not really adding an "add-on game"; it&#39;s more in the nature of expanding IL-2 to include an additional area in which to fly, and a series of missions to fly that are an attempt to re-create, day by day, a sense of what the Battle of Britain may have been like. Personally I wouldn&#39;t refer to the map and mission pack as either an expansion pack or an add-on game. I&#39;d call it a community created Mod. That&#39;s why you need a basic "Mod package" to use it.

But what&#39;s in a name? The idea is to add to the game the ability to fly the Channel area on a 1 to 1 map offering the player a virtual glimpse of the BoB arena. I hope we accomplished that.

Hope this helps.
    Pers